Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the diff with these two diffs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I would like to know what the difference is between a detroit locker and a posi unit. THe 89 Blazer my dad bought has a detroit locker in it, but when it's up in the air and you spin one wheel, the other wheel spins in the opposite direction. He used to drag race and had a few Plymouth roadrunners that he put posi units in, and if he spun one wheel by hand, the other spun in the same direction. I'm just wondering about this. Oh yea, the blazer has 10 bolt in it if it makes a diff. Get it, diff lol Sorry. hahaha
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Betcha any money the 89 has an Eaton Gov-lock not a Detroit. Up in the air it's physically impossible for a Detroit equipped rear to have the tires spin opposite directions. That particular phenomenon is due to spider gears in the case..which the gov-lock has and the Detroit doesn't.

Whoever told him it was a Detroit either doesn't know or BS'd him.

Rene

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Lots of folks hear the name "Gov-Loc", which is GM's name for their factory pseudo-locker, and then think it's a "locker", and that somehow becomes a Detroit Locker in their mind. But it isn't even close... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif A Gov-Loc only engages when it senses a difference in wheel speeds between the two wheels of about 100 RPM, then you'll feel a bang and both wheels starrt pulling. But I'd guess that on an '89, the Gov-Loc is pretty worn out, so it may not engage at all. But like Rene said, there isn't a Detroit Locker in that axle. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I kinda figured that was the case, The rear end isn't origonal supposidly by the last owner, and we just got a new axle shaft put in, my dad didn't do it becuase of no time, and I'm now in tennessee for school so I haven't even seen the truck. and the Mechanic who supposidly off roads a lot said it was a detroit locker. I figured it it had anything it was the junk gov lock but I guess I'll have to go home myself and find out what it is, but I do know that if you spin one wheel, the other spins backwards. Thanks guys.
    Ben 87 Jimmy /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I discovered I had a gov-loc one day while playing with it. I spun one wheel about as fast as I could and then BAM they switched directions. It kinda caught me by surprise and I hurt my hand.