Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats the difference between lockers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jun 27, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hey guys, ive got my 3/4 ton axles and i want to lock both of them. its my dd so i guess i want the best driveable characteristics as possible. what do you guys recommend for d44/14bolt? im thinkin detroit in rear, but what in front? i see detroit has different lockers like C-locker, soft-locker, tru trac, ez, whats the difference?

thanks

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

it is going to be your preference... and the depth of your pockets...

you can do a detroit in rear... however it will still chirp and make a rougher characteristics.... I went and got mulch (2yards) in the back of my truck and handled fine..even when I had to turn from a light....

front? air locker, electric locker?

I am running a detroit in front and rear.... if you have locking hubs... then you can do anything as you can unlock them on the street.....
    I paid $350 for my rear detroit and $600 for my front (carrier replacement)

detroit now has the electric detroit... like $900 :grin:

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have detroits front and rear also, but I am also 1 ton. If I had a D44 in front, I'd seriously consider a lunchbox locker, like the Aussie Locker. Rigs with lighter duty axles and spools or detroits seem to go through axle shafts faster. The Aussie is a good design and only costs $229 or so for a D44 model... not bad at all.

j