Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the difference with red died diesel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 76_Cheyenne, Dec 5, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I should know this since we've been using it in our tractors for a long time. BUt is there any difference performance wise with it. Is it street legal? I've been using it in our tractor because it has no road tax added, and its easy to tell apart from the gasoline.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Nope, it's not street legal. Because it has no road tax added into the price, you can be fined for using it in a non-farm vehicle. In some rural areas, DOT inspectors will take fuel samples at roadside checkpoints for this very reason......

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

ya...if ya use it....dont get caught. plus, ive heard they lower the cetane rating in it juss for this purpose so ppl find out it runs like crap and quit using it. somethin to tihnk about. around here, the fines are pretty high too

NITRO

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    plus, ive heard they lower the cetane rating in it juss for this purpose so ppl find out it runs like crap and quit using it.

[/ QUOTE ]

BS, no performance difference in off highway and on highway fuel, just a dye.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    plus, ive heard they lower the cetane rating in it juss for this purpose so ppl find out it runs like crap and quit using it.

[/ QUOTE ]

BS, no performance difference in off highway and on highway fuel, just a dye.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I second, BS. We use it in all of our farm equipment and a diesel motor is a diesel motor. If it would run bad in a pickup it will run bad in my John Deere harvester. We run offroad diesel in one of our trucks but for some reason it is delivered clear to us. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

ok thats what I thought, thanks for the info

7. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

ive run it in my truck (emergancy, sorta) it ran fine. its very tempting to use as it cost 50 cents less a gallon. but i dont think its worth the gamble.

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it cost 50 cents less a gallon. but i dont think its worth the gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad you can't add another die to just change the color again.

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I've heard/read that there is nothing different as well, however I will tell you that our Duramax ran off-road fuel for the first 22K miles we had it....had to replace fuel filter at that time...we switched back over to regular diesel at 22K..and the truck now has 77K on it, with the same filter. The Tech asked if John ran off-road fuel..I played dumb...he said it gums up the filters....

Not sure how true it is, but 22K versus 55K is a LOT of difference on a fuel filter!

Brandy

10. rjfguitar

There is no difference! It is the exact same fuel except one has red dye and one has blue dye. If red diesel was a poorer fuel that plugged filters than we would have a problem with it in our farm equipment but we don't and no one else does either around here. My grandpa only puts red diesel in his furd power stroke and it runs absolutely the same as blue diesel. It is the exact same fuel. Your filter thing is just a cowinsadince, maybe it was a different brand filter, maybe you got something in the fuel and you didn't relize it.

11. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It is the exact same fuel except one has red dye and one has blue dye.

[/ QUOTE ] The fuel I used was never blue or red.

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i used to work for a fuel delivery service, when we went to the refinery to fill up our tanker, there was a nozzle that you could watch shoot the red dye into it, otherwise it is the same as otr (over the road) diesel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

but like has been said, big big fines if/when you are caught /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    It is the exact same fuel except one has red dye and one has blue dye.

[/ QUOTE ] The fuel I used was never blue or red.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sometimes it doesn't get dye and comes clear. Red diesel is offroad diesel and blue diesel is over the road diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Thanks, always was clear.

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually there is one difference, the farm diesel has higher sulfur, which is good for the engine, bad for the environment

16. BlueBlazer

I did a little research on this and it looks like they have the same sulfur content no matter what the color. Apparently before the EPA started regulating sulfur levels in exhaust, non-road diesel did have a higher sulfur content, but this is not true now. The dye is the only difference between the two.

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I did a little research on this and it looks like they have the same sulfur content no matter what the color. Apparently before the EPA started regulating sulfur levels in exhaust, non-road diesel did have a higher sulfur content, but this is not true now. The dye is the only difference between the two.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Like I said /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So I was right up to recently?
    I know because I am a City inspector for underground and all the specs request that the graders and loaders and excavators use the low sulfur regular Fuel, not the off road high sulfur fuel.
    I guess these specs are outdated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. BlueBlazer

OK, I did a little more research and found that on highway diesel (taxed, non dyed) is currently between 250 and 300 ppm sulfur and is to be lowered to 15 ppm by 2006. Off highway fuel (non taxed, dyed red) can either be simply on highway fuel that is dyed red (still 250 to 300 ppm) OR high sulfur fuel which is between 2500 and 3500 ppm. This number is to be lowered soon as well. SO, it seems that it is where youre located and what your fuel source is that determines if there is any difference between on road and off road diesel besides the dye. Either way, your performance shouldnt be affected, although the sulfur if mixed with water can lead to corrosion of metal parts. The removal of sulfur in low sulfur fuel removed some of the lubricity, but the fuel companies use additives to bring this back up.

20. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Well, if you live in Colorado don't use it unless you have farm tags.. I just happen to have a pretty good source (my wife) that just spent 4 days in Denver at Fuel Dipping class and she said she will be writing some real big tickets as of Jan 1. Also the concentrations of dye in some additives including tranny fluid will cost you if you get caught too. The fines for commercial carriers can be up to 10,000 bucks and the private users can get up to about 100 bucks a gallon.

CR