Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by ol_grayfeather, Jun 20, 2002.

1. ol_grayfeather

ol_grayfeather Registered Member

Which would be better (for both street and off-road) between 6" rear springs, this shackle filp deal with 2" springs, or with 2" blocks? Was thinking of going with a 6" all spring. Also, if I do the shackle flip and the 3/4 ton running gear, would I use the 1/2 or 3/4 rear springs?

Thanks
    Dan

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Do you do a lot of heavy towing? If so then I would say to go with the 6'' rear springs because of the stiffer spring rate. Otherwise my vote is for the shackle flip and 2'' springs. As for 1/2 or 3/4 ton springs: you can use either, they both mount to the axle the same. The 3/4 ton springs are 56'' long and are obviously stiffer. You can make them softer by pulling out a couple of leaves and they will flex better than the 1/2 ton (52'') springs. The problem with using the 56''s is that you have to move the rear hanger back 4'' (although it isn't that hard). So if you want a simpler installation just stick to 52'' springs. I am personally running the shackle flip with 52''s and 1 1/2" blocks (new springs weren't in the budget) and the ride is good both on and offroad. Just my $.02

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Not all 3/4 ton springs are 56 inches long, and not all 1/2 tons are 52's (so I'm told). I have a 77 3/4 ton and a friend has a 79 that both have 52 inch rear springs. Apparently the Big 10 half tons had 56" springs. Only the heavier duty 3/4 tons had 56" springs, along with one tons.

4. ol_grayfeather

ol_grayfeather Registered Member

Thanks guys, guess I'll go measure the ones I have. The 3/4 ton stuff is coming out of a '75.

Dan

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Flip with a 2" spring is proven to be softer, you could do the flip and a block as a get by for a while then get springs also. In general keeping the spring flat lets them work better.

6. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

i have the six in front and the flip with a block good for now but my ditch the block for 2" springs out back!!!