Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats the difference...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 24, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, Whats the difference between TSL and TSL radial? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The TSL Raial is a Radial type tire the TSL is a bias ply.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Radial = more street friendly, quieter, generally more expensive then bias ply

Bias Ply = tougher sidewalls for offroad, not the best for street driving ("flat spots" after being parked for a while)

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bias ply tires like to use lots of weight to balance and wobble when they aren't balanced. They also wear faster than a radial tire. You don't wan't to run an agressive bias swamper on the road unless it won't see much street driving. Take it from someone that knows, I thought it wouldn't be all that bad running a bogger on the street half the time and that I could live with their behavior...wrong! They seem great when they are new but as soon as the little lug starts wearing faster than the big lug they get very rough and slap the road hard when you are going 5 to 10 MPH. The only bias tire I would recommend that is going to see a LOT of street miles vs. offroad would be the Dick Cepek fun country kevlar, it's mild tread really helps keep the vibration down, sidewalls are thinner for a better ride, and are partly engineered to run on the road unlike bias swampers. MT baha belted tires supposedly are decent on the road too for being a bias tire.

The radial swampers wear much better, take less weight to balance, are quieter, and easier to live with on a daily driver.

Offroad a bias is much better because they are tougher and conform to the terrain better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks for the replies. Im trying to pick a tire for my DD, my final desicions are either SSR's or TSL radials. What would be your pick?

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

AHHH not again! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Id say Radials. Try a search, this was discussed a couple of weeks ago. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

sorry sorry sorry, im not very bright this week /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the replies. Im trying to pick a tire for my DD, my final desicions are either SSR's or TSL radials. What would be your pick?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Both the SSR and TSLR are good tires to live with on road.
    The SSR's are going to be just a little better on road but the TSLR's are going to be a little better offroad. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Hey,whats up with the fun country kick lately???I see you talking quite a bit about them.Do you REALLY want those??????Have you checked out all the other ones?Thats your final choice?Just curious. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    MT baha belted tires supposedly are decent on the road too for being a bias tire.

[/ QUOTE ]

really, never heard anything about them before. i have heard of Baja Belted tires before, but never baha belted. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    MT baha belted tires supposedly are decent on the road too for being a bias tire.

[/ QUOTE ]

really, never heard anything about them before. i have heard of Baja Belted tires before, but never baha belted. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    baja

asshat... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey,whats up with the fun country kick lately???I see you talking quite a bit about them.Do you REALLY want those??????Have you checked out all the other ones?Thats your final choice?Just curious. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Whats up with it? I want a set, that whats up. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The more I research and ask people about them, the more positive feed back I am getting. I am basically done with mud so them not being a good mudder doesn't bother me. I'm tired of worrying about tire wear and not going too fast on the freeway also not to mention I am tired of the paddle tire type slap I get from stop light to stop light. Boggers are friggin' loud too when they start wearing. I am excited about having a tire that is the best tire out there for sand(besides a paddle) and get good mileage, ride nice, look OK, and are quiet not to mention being able to go far distances without needing to run stockers in fear of burning up tread on the boggers.(NorCal down to Pismo beach). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifPlus they are the only tire that are wide enough to run my 14's on in a 35-36" size and that wears well.
    With having 14's and not wanting anything bigger than a 36" ...here are my choices
    35x16 bogger
    35x15 TSL
    35x15.50 SX
    36x16.50 FC kevlar
    36x14.50 baja belted
    Get my drift Jake? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Oh,....OK!!!Those are good reasons, ill give ya that.Its just that theres so many cool other tires out there right now.Looks like selection is "limited" due to the size factor. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif