Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the diffrence?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Oct 15, 2005.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Jan 10, 2005
    Hey I know this is a stupid newbie question. However Im trying to learn all I can. So what is the diffrence between a roller cam and a flat tappet cam? And whats the diffrence between roller rocker arms and regular rockers?

Sorry this is dumb but please enlighten me.
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Nov 1, 2004
    regular scuffs against the lobs or valve tip. rollers roll on a bearing over the lobes or valve tips. rollers offer less friction and wear on items. and also give free hp to motor and rev just a bit faster.
  3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Jul 22, 2001
    The lifters on a flat tappett are normal looking lifters , flat on the bottom where the cam touches it . Lifters on a roller cam have rollers on the bottom where cam touches it .

Rockers are stamped steel stock , and its metal to metal on teh fulcrum point and valve stem tip .

Cheap roller rockers are still stamped steel in the fulcrum point , but roller tip on the valve stem , creates less friction .

Real roller rockers have a roller fulcrum , roller tip , and vrtually no friction .
    Which makes some power , is closer to its rated ratio than stamped steel , and lasts longer