Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what's the dumbest thing you did to your ride that was not needed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Sep 21, 2003.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

what\'s the dumbest thing you did to your ride that was not needed?

mine was taking everything off the front of the core support(head lights and all) but i didn't change any of that,a year later i couldn't find half the parts. IDIOT /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: what\'s the dumbest thing you did to your ride that was not needed?

well, back in the day I poured several thousand $ into 10 bolt axles. warn shafts, gears, trutracs, full floater kits, warn premiums, the whole shabang. Only way I possibly could have spent more on them would be if I had put in ARBs and CTMs. At any rate, half the $ woulda got me 1 ton stuff, which I have since done. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

3. boggerless

don't that suck?the last dumb thing i did was paint the truck and forgot to change the doors. the ones on it have power the ones i want to put on it don't. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

i got a net gate for $30...it was nice to move into college to hold all the boxs in the bed(my truck didnt come with a tailgate) but in retrospect for $30 in metal i coulda made a pretty damn good tailgate myself.

5. boggerless

hind site is better than forsite, eh. if your still looking for a chevelle my friend has a 68,it has a olds engine though. he bought it ih kentucky it's yellow with a red and blue stripe. let me know /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I found out how fast it would go in 4 low.

I got a new engine out of the deal... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Blew my truck's engine by over revving it and got my 6AL ignition box later which would have saved my engine (and did since).

Put a 10 bolt/12bolt combo under my truck when the stock 10 bolt went out. Complained about the gearing and was going to change it, but got 3/4 tons for free and went that route. THANK GOD!! If I'd payed to change the gears in my 10 bolts, I would have been so pissed.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

not noticing i was in 4LO when in the mud, didnt bat an eye revvin it to 65mph...............till i noticed it was 4L..............ewwwwwwwww that sucked....

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hmm well i put a 12 bolt in my truck today because i grenaded the 10 bolt..and i put brakes on it...yeah...unnecessary..

10. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

I was dumb enough to believe the "If my tires fit the rest will too" theory. That made real quick work of my entire passneger side. A few months later at the challenge I was also dumb enough to successfully make the drivers side match..

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Bought the wrong mufflers (4" too short and 1/4" too big on the inlet/outlet) to go with my Hooker headers and tubing kit and was so poor that I had to buy $19.99 mufflers from Advance.

Other than that, usually I'm so poor I have things planned out for months in advance. However, one of the more dumb things I've done is put new sheetmetal and paint on my truck only to go out in the woods and put dents and severe scratches in it. Luckily, all my dents so far are on old sheetmetal (the box and right front fender).

12. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

me and some friends went to see a bar band, i got way to
    drunk and had to let someone else drive home, sitting in
    the back seat i was dozing in and out, something sounded
    wierd so i asked the driver to turn down the stereo, he was
    going 65 mph in second gear,in my (i love jeeps) ford bronco II nothing got ruind though, /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

dumbest thing??? probably buyin' it,LOL

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe when I put my old 72 K5 I had years ago in 4 low when a few buddies laughed because I couldnt do a burnout,and proceeded to strip the splines out of the companion flange on the rear end,and made the driveshaft resemble a barber pole! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif --they had to push me back into the parking lot /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif--they were real impressed!~ but it did burn the tire real good for a few seconds!Moral of this story--dont put it in 4-low on tar,or when your front hubs arent locked! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Paint! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

On Emmett(my '82) I would say climbing a hill on a trail and not slowing down for a low hanging branch thinking it would just bounce off. When it hit I realize it had a piece hangning down and it busted my windshield and peeled back some of the roof. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

On EJ (the 86) I would have to say goofing around and flopping it on its side on the 14th in Wellsville. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. muddhawg

muddhawg Registered Member

Gear drive /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif thought it sounded cool, but now it is just getting annoying. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Blowing up the 10-bolt gov-pop /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and spending good money to put a Auburn limited slip in it instead of a 14-bolt

Breaking the front 10-bolt in half /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, seriously, the tube broke right out of the pumpkin, and replacing it with another junkyard 10-bolt instead of going Dana 60

Putting in a junkyard Caddy 500 without rebuilding the bottom end /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif only to have it lose the oil pump and burn up the bottom end and then having to put my 6.2L diesel back in after getting used to all of that big block power

The list goes on and on, but I haven't done any seriously stupid things since joining CK5!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. boggerless

my friend john wanted to drive my super duty when i first bought it we were doing about 65 on the freeway and he went to turn on the blower motor but turned it to 4 hi, i hate that swith iwant a lever. its only 3 in. away from the blower switch , and they are the same size-what the hell? these are great stories. my friend dave had a 79 caddy that started losing power and headlights,i told him to check the belt. he's one of those guys that knows everything though,so he bought a new battery got a day and a half out of it. so then he buys an alternater, on the way home i watch his lights getting dimmer. when we got to his house we popped the hood and gee wizz loose belt. the best part was the moron just put on the alt, and still didn't get it tight. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The list goes on and on, but I haven't done any seriously stupid things since joining CK5!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is beautiful friends /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif