Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats the exchange rate for CD/AM money?

Discussion in 'North Region' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 11, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Like the title says, whats the exchange rate for canadian money and american money. In other words, there are things in the U.S. I want. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

4 canada dollars=1 american dollars

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

no really its about 1.39 CAD=1 AM. it changes every couple days but only a penny or two /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif oh no. I hate this conversion thing /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I will need to save up roughly 40% more to buy things from the states /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pick up a 'Province' newspaper and scroll through there. The daily exchange rate is in there at the end of the stock listings. Todays rate is 1.4089 Cdn for each USD. The buck has been sliding lately so that doesn't help you at all.

Rule of thumb...if you see a magazine price in USD, double it and that's about what it'll cost you in CDN money to get it to your door (if you're lucky) You have to figure in the tax at the border, shipping costs and brokerage fees if you don't have a US shipping address.

Example...my TSL's are often listed at $260 US per tire in the magazines. My actual cost was $500 Cdn per tire. I could have 'saved' $25 per tire but I'd have had to go through all the Canada Customs BS and blow half a day or more.

Rene

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My actual cost was $500 Cdn per tire.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I didn't know y'all had to go through all that bullshit! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve, check out www.xe.com its what I use when I need to figure that kinda stuff out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks Paxx, I will use that.

I hate this difference between money. I feel ripped off when I want to buy something from the US /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

ha ha yeah I feel you on that man.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Is it cheaper to send it to someone in the states, then have them ship it to me, or is it better to just get the company to ship it? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. tRustyK5

Best to use a US shipping address and go get it yourslelf. Then declare it at customs, pay the tax and go your merry way.

Rene

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, what do they do at customs? I've never been there... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. tRustyK5

it's usually not bad...just a little time consuming. They ask if you bought anything while you were in the States. You tell them what you're bringing home with you, plus how much you paid, and provide a receipt. Then they give you a slip of paper which you take inside.

Once inside you stand in line like the bank, and when it's your turn you tell them the exact same story all over again, give them the receipt. If you're lucky all you'll have to do then is pay the PST and GST on the value of your purchase and you're on your way. If you have luck like I do they'll ask for your keys and you get to watch the drug dogs roam around your vehicle for a little while...then pay the tax and go home. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My best tip for dealing with US and Canada customs agents is tell them the truth about the nature of your trip, the value of goods etc etc. Don't let em get ya rattled, do not change your answers if they ask the same question more than once...and most of all bring your patience with you. The new security means it will take some time until THEY are satisfied everything is on the up and up. Also, make sure whatever you're driving is clean inside...if they want to search it'll just piss them off to have to dig through a bunch of needless stuff. Do not ever try and cop an attitude with these guys...they can make you pay in 'hassle factor' like you'd never have imagined.

Ashtray, clean empty

Last month's "Soldier of fortune" magazine at home. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That big bag of anthrax and the internet pipe bomb instructions...locked away at home /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

you get the idea.

Rene

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That big bag of anthrax and the internet pipe bomb instructions...locked away at home

[/ QUOTE ]

Speakin from experience? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So I should just stay honest and not try to tell them I didn't buy a bunch of stuff so I wouldn't get so much tax? I'd rather tell the truth then have to wait an hour straightening out everything. Thanks for the tip. I will have to remember that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

receipts are good to have too /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what would happen if someone lost, or couldn't find there receipt at the customs place?

17. tRustyK5

Without a receipt it can be a bit of a pain...mostly I tell them what I paid "That's my story and I'm sticking to it".

Again, telling them what you honestly paid is easiest...

I have had them tell me that what I paid is way to cheap, to which I respond that if it hadn't been a really good deal I wouldn't have bothered buying it in the US and having to deal with customs at all. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My all time worst was when JB conversions sent me the SYE kit so me and my bud could do the install and write up for Steve. When I got to customs I told them I was bringing it back, but that I paid nothing for it. I provided the receipt from JB which said it was 'for promotion' and cost was $0. Shipping cost...also $0. The bastards made me pay the tax on the market value of the kit. That's one of the only times I've had to pay tax on a free item.

It's their job to be dicks, it's your job not to give them a reason or excuse to be more of a dick.

Rene

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That would have sucked... how much was the tax? I'd be p*ssed off if I had to pay tax on something that was free /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Thanks for the advice and pointers everyone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. tRustyK5

Est value was $300 US

I paid the provincial sales tax (7.5%) and the Federal General sales tax (GST, 7%)

Came to about $57 at the time...

The flip side of the coin is when they've let me through without paying anything. That doesn't happen often though. The last time was when I went down to Vancouver WA and picked up a windshield frame and full vert topper from Chevyfumes. Total value was $200 US and I was 'gone' for about 15 hours total. I had Rob write me a receipt and when I got to the customs booth the guy asked a couple of questions and told me to have a nice night. I didn't have to go inside or pay a single dime.

Rene

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Woah why did they let you buy? Maybe he had a good day or something /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif