Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the going rate for...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Apr 16, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What\'s the going rate for...

...a low mileage 454 Vortec complete with everything needed to install it into one of my carbureted K30's?

What about a 350 TPI complete with everything, too? (yeah, TPI, not TBI) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s the going rate for...

Why? You have a few of those in that "shed" of yours too? I'll take one of each for ... $100! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-Dan

3. thatK30guy

No, don't have any at all. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I want the 350 TPI for the '82 K30 for a daily driver.

And the 454 Vortec for possibly installing in the '85 K30. Just so I can get better than 4 mpg. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Check out www.thirdgen.org for the TPI question............I'd say $1500 depending on miles on the motor.

5. thatK30guy

That's all? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Mighty cheap for a TPI motor.

Does that price include the wiring, computer, etc.?

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I've seen them for that price, yes, FULLY inclusive. Heck, Emmetology got an LT1 motor fully inclusive for $400!!!!

Option two is getting the top end off a TPI motor and put it on any good bottom end............like, um, maybe a 406..........or get really crazy and put Vortec heads with the new TPI/Vortec base on a 406 with maybe a miniram or LT1 manifold modified to fit a TPI............the possibilities are not quite endless but only driven by your wallet.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are serious about the motor, look into buying a complete totalled car..sometimes a good way to find a good motor wrapped in a bad car.

8. thatK30guy

Dorian, that is the original plan. To look for a rebuilder and hock off the body parts to anybody who can use them.

My plan is to find a 5.7 TPI out of a Camaro (or even Firebird if they are the same?) and yank everything from that car.

Would be even sweeter if I could find a Vette. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Then again, I also thought of finding a K3500 rebuilder for the 454 Vortec, if I can get lucky. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

The way Frank sounds as far as the prices for the complete motor and wiring, etc. sounds too good. I'm getting excited just to read about that! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, if you want a complete setup, and related tech support, let me know. Guy I got mine from (1988/1991 F-body stuff) charged me about $600 complete.

Not sure what he gets for 454 stuff, or if he has any more of either, but I can ask if you are interested in finding out availability.

I thought the Vette stuff was kinda one-off, maybe I'm wrong on this, but something tells me there are some differences that make it not quite as desirable. One of them is obviously that they are rarer than f-bodies. I'd have to say Camaro/Firebird stuff is very similar, if not identical. There are probably some real minor differences, but the block is the same, so everything that bolts to and is integrated with, should be the same.

10. thatK30guy

Dorian, yeah, go ahead and send me any info you have or know of. I would deeply appreciate any info about these motors.

That price still "shocks" me!! I'm almost positive that I'm gonna jump on one of these motors for a deal like that!! Just need to find one close enough to me. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I will go ahead and say let's look for a 5.7 TPI so I can get the '82 K30 running.
    My Blazer is sold next month and I'm out of a truck to drive. I just don't want to drive the '85 K30 due to the 4 mpg. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif