Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the hot ticket for axle gear setup??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Sep 21, 2002.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

What\'s the hot ticket for axle gear setup??

Running a 6.2 diesel, 700r4 tranny, 208 (241 in future, maybe) t-case, 35" BFG MT's. What's the hot gear ratio to use? Right now fuel mileage is phenominal due toe crummy gearing in the stock axles now, but taller gears are definately needed to help me get up hills and keep up with traffic. Them aforementioned crummy gears don't keep the motor high enough in the revs (if you can say the 6.2 has high revs) to allow quick shifts for passing and climbing hills. I don't know what's in now without pulling a cover. I tried rotating the ds and counting axle turns, but came up with a rediculous 2:1 ratio.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: What\'s the hot ticket for axle gear setup??

You probably have 3.08s. With 35's 4.10s are good.

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Only lift one wheel and put the trans. in neutral. If you anr not already. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I've got 4.56 on my 6.2/700R with 35" BFGs (for now). If you do alot of highway driving (fast) stick with 4.10s. If you can stand to cruise @ 65mph and want alot of low speed grunt 4.56 work great, with an OD. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

I ran 35s with 4.10 for years with a th400 with no overdrive. This was a great set up. Recently I switched to 4.56 and this was ok with 35s(2900rpm at 65mph). I recently switched to 37s but havent put any highway miles on. I would say if you want mour power or wil ever get bigger rubber(you know you will) get the 4.56s /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . You do have overdrive.

marc