Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the ideal trail rig setup? for "cheap"-er

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Beefcake, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Beefcake

Beefcake Registered Member

What is the ideal engine, tranny, drivtrain, axle, suspension, tire, setup for a rig that dose mostly trails some mud, and a little rocks? Mostly looking for "bang for my buck" and ways to keep it affordable. I only have a limited budget.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if cheap is the main goal, a 3/4 ton chebby with a 350 and a manual and long stock leaf springs would be about as good as it gets.

j

3. Beefcake

Decent trailworthy is my true goal

Trailworthiness is my ultimate goal while keeping it reasonably priced. i'm purchasing either an80's model k5 or late 70's. like i said mostly for trails(I live on a ranch and trails are bountiflull) some mud, little rocks.

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

A 4" TC lift would keep the fabwork down and still flex reasonable. If you're good with your welding and such, buy some 63's for the back and 56's up front. That gets expensive tho cause then you need *really* long shocks, x-over steer, and new d-shafts usually. Get a 14bolt rear with some decent gears for what tire u wanna run and a sm465 for the granny low.

5. Beefcake

ballpark

what would the ballpark price range be all together on that?

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1987 K10 shortbox with a TBI350/465/208.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

out of curiosity, is there a reason you're getting a k5? they don't come with axles you'd want for a trail rig... and while the removable top is cool and all, at some point most trail rigs lose the top and rear seat anyway. lol. I guess it has less weight in sheetmetal than a truck, cause there is nuttin behind the drivers seat...

anyway, I still think a 3/4 ton truck with a manual would be your best bet. It will come with good axles that can handle decent sized tires... and manuals tend to be a lot cheaper than rebuilding autos. ;)

j

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

leave a 3/4 ton gasser stock with maybe some mud terrains and you've got a budget wheeler.

i wouldn't touch suspension and all that unless you're ready to dump some cash...it gets addictive

9. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Best thing to do is to buy someone's rig thats got to sell it from this forum. You'll save a lot of money in the long run. I've seen well built rigs on here go for less than $4000. 1tons, lockers, 40s and all the goodies.

10. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I would get a k5 or shortbox, 4lift, 35s and some gears and lockers. Keep it simple.

Later

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really like the K5 Blazer myself. Build it as you can afford it. I'd start off with a 4" to lift. Next would be too find some 3/4 ton axles. After you have your 35" tires and rims, swap in the new axles and slap the big tires on. Now you may need too trim your fenders, but not a issue on a 70's K5, infact, looks pretty damn good.

12. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

If it were me I would go for a single cab long wheel base 3/4 ton truck. As stated above you have good axles to handle tires. I also do ranch work. I prefer the long box bed because you have more room to put stuff. If you add a toolbox to a short bed it takes up all the room. You can haul more stuff in a long bed which is nice when doing ranch work.

13. Beefcake

Great idea. a 3/4 ton is a better choice. I'll have axles. and cargo space for fence posts and tools and junk. Thanx :D

14. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

goo to see you're going to get a pickup. a 3/4 gasser pickup is the best for cheap wheeling. the shorter wheelbase of the k5 doesn't matter as much if you don't care (or at least care less. i understand the concept of semi-beater) about the truck.

3/4 4x4, with 350 and 465 stick shift is the way to go.

there's a good chance that's what i'll buy when it comes time.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005