Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the legality of this???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

What\'s the legality of this???

Looking for someone who may know if this is a good idea or not...

About 2 weeks ago, someone broke into an employee's car at the hotel and stole their CD player... Then a couple nights ago, someone broke into another employee's car and stole his subs, amp, CD player, and CD's...

I was talking to the second victim and he's about 90% sure he knows who it is, and how we may be able to catch him... What he wants to do is hide a video camera with the night vision feature thing, and park my Explorer over in the area where the cars were broken into... Later, he and I will talk about my phat system within earshot of the employee thought to be the thief...

This alleged thief, a shady looking kid, gets off work at 9, always picked up by a shady looking mexican... the victim thinks that one of them acts as a lookout while the other does the window bashing and stuff stealing...

I would love more than anything to help catch a vehicle-robber, and I'd be more than happy to use my truck in a setup to catch the bastard in the act... I'm just a little worried about how I would go about getting my stuff back and getting my window paid for in the event that someone does attempt to steal my stuff... Would I have to report it to insurance, or can I expect the thief to be responsible for paying for the damage???

I know this kids mom, she also works at the hotel. She's a cool lady who, if we had proof of her son stealing stuff, would most likely beat the living hell out of him, and make damn sure he paid me back... But I know she isn't the word of the law... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

If anything, we'll just jump the kid in the parking lot if it's found out he's the culprit /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: What\'s the legality of this???

I say do it, then like you said "catch him in the act" and beat the bloody pulp out of him. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Actually, what I would do is report to the local authorities and tell them what's going on. Let them know you want to do a sting operation and catch the bastard since you are pretty sure you know who it is and they may want to go along for the ride so to speak and be right there to nab them up red handed.

Just a likely thought anyway.

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

good idea talking to the cops... I'll see if my coworker wants to call up the officer he made a report with and let him in on our plan /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Keep us posted. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I would double check the deductible on your insurance before doing something like that, especially if your window might get broken in the process. There's no reason for you to get screwed if it isn't who you think it is doing the stealing.

There is no way to know for sure that you will get paid by the thief even if you take him to court. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Videotaping is legal as long as there is no expectation of privacy. In a public parking lot, there is no expectation of privacy. Why not find a big shiny bling bling boom box, place it on the front seat, and then talk about how many millions you just spent on it instead of putting your stereo system at risk? I'd remove anything that you don't want stolen except for the bait.

I would then make sure you are taping the event. Go to the cops first with the tape. Depending on their workload, they may run with it. If not, then take it to Mom. After those two are done, take it to the hotel management so that he isn't around to do it again. If the cretin busts your window out, and you have it on tape, you can certainly get it paid for by the person through the criminal process (judge orders restitution), or the civil process (small claims, lawsuit). Mom might make sure you are reimbursed too.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Videotaping is legal as long as there is no expectation of privacy. In a public parking lot, there is no expectation of privacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be certain, get one of those pre-made signs from Staples or Office Max that says "This area under video surveillance" or words to that effect. Or make one of your own. Put it up in a location where it's visible from the bait vehicle and also visible to the camera. If I were doing it, I'd start recording, pan around the whole parking lot to show the location, zoom in on the sign for 5-10 seconds to have the sign on record as being posted, then set-up your shot. Again, ensure the sign can be seen in the shot with the bait vehicle. In this situation, no one can rightfully say the video is an invasion of privacy if the area under surveillance is clearly marked...

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Two good ways to fix the low life theif that I know of.
    1) Hot glue some razor blades to Your door handels (I have done this and it works) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2) Lay in the back covered in a blanket or something then beat the sh!t out of the scumbag. Load his ass in the back and drive him out in to the middle of no where and beat his ass some more then strip his ass butt naked and write all over him with shoe polish "THEIF".
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Two good ways to fix the low life theif that I know of.
    1) Hot glue some razor blades to Your door handels (I have done this and it works) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2) Lay in the back covered in a blanket or something then beat the sh!t out of the scumbag. Load his ass in the back and drive him out in to the middle of no where and beat his ass some more then strip his ass butt naked and write all over him with shoe polish "THEIF".
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

another one would be....hide under the car, with a stun gun, as soon as you see him approaching, get ready and when he busts the window, zap that [darn]!! this was one me and my friends where gonna try when my buddies truck kept getting broken into!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif