Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what's the lowest I can go?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by possum, Jan 10, 2002.

1. possum

possum Registered Member

what\'s the lowest I can go?

I have a 12b rear and 10b front. Can I go to 4.56 in these or will I need bigger "cases" or whatever they're called. Pumpkins, whatever. Still learnin the lingo.[​IMG] I may only go 4.10 but I want to know my options.

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Re: what\'s the lowest I can go?

4.56 gears will work, the only thing you have to watch is you will have to have a 4 series carrier for the 12 bolt, you can use the 10 bolt carrier as long as the gears you have now are at least a 2.73 ratio or higher. The same goes if you decide to use 4.10 gears.

3. possum

possum Registered Member

so what is the carrier? basic terminology I'm sure but I still don't know. [​IMG]

4. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

The differential (carrier) is in the axle housig its what hold your ring gear and spider gears.Its what transfer power from your driveline to your wheels.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.