Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what's the lowest you'd run...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by colbystephens, Dec 8, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

what are the fewest cold cranking amps that would get a 6.2 started? i've got over 2K cca, no worries on my end. i was just thinking tho, if someone were stranded in the snow, and you had an inverter for your cig. lighter, and you ran a space heater off of one battery, and had another 1000 cca battery, would it start?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

overkill??..

I have used only ONE battery in my 6.2 in summer with no troubles,til I could get new ones....so have many other guys I know,some only use one group 31 battery and dont run the other at all!..one guy has an electric plow pump on his truck too,with only one group 31 battery...uses the other battery strictly as a "back up", in case the other croaks..

I think having 2 batteries is good in the winter,when you need every amp you can get..but often one battery gets a dead cell,and it kills BOTH batteries!..in that case youd be better off with one GOOD battery!..:doah:

We often used a normal car battery to jump start our 1700 Trojan forkloader at the junkyard,and that thing had a detroit 4 cyl diesel!..even in winter one regular car battery spun it right over--I often wondered why it had a huge "4D" battery twice the size of a car battery--it didn't seem to need it!..:crazy:

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

heck, 1/2 the boats I work on have 6 to 8 8D's... :doah: :haha: Try spinning up some 12 cyl Manns... :eek1: