Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the maximum weight to flat tow-

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Pookster, May 11, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Its not that I dont have a trailer, its just that having an extra trailer at a camp site is annoying. Would it be be less than safe to tow a Mitsu Montero (second gen) flat?

Or is safety outweighing, and I should tow on the trailer instead?

Tow rig: 92 k2500 ext cab long bed.
    Rig to be towed: 92 Mitsu montero

2. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Your owner's manual should have a listing of maximum weight that can be towed by the various vehicles covered in the manual. That poundage would apply whether you are towing "flat" or a loaded trailer. LOL!!!

Ronnie

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im not exceeding the GCWR, I know that part. Its just when you flat tow, there's no brakes on the rear vehicle!

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Tow with the trailer IMO.

John

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

A 3/4T long bed GM towing a Mitsu? Id do it. It sure doesnt outweigh the tow rig!
    The best thing is to go ahead and try it. If you dont like the feeling or dont feel comfortable with it, dont do it any more. Everyone is so fast to recommend that you dont do it, when lots of people flat tow with no issues. Its all personal pref. Flat towing a vehicle is definately a unique experience. Its a weird feeling, and you have to drive differently to do it. But it can be safe. You still have to check your local laws... some require brakes on anything above a certain weight, you dont want to be exceeding that. Otherwise, try it for yourself. I flat tow my K5 behind my 01 Ram 1500 4x4.

Mike

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I flat towed my mustang behind my k5- was just a little bit hot on my brakes, but otherwise, it was fine. the mitsu weighs at least 1500 lbs more, but then again, so is the tow rig! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Doh. checked the curb weight on both trucks- the gross weight of the k2500 is only... 150 lbs more than the montero???

8. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I know of a guy who flat tows M35s(6x6s) with a 1 ton chevy, ext cab dually and a 6.5TD /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Buys them from the auction and that is how he gets them home.

9. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I flat tow my truggy all the time when I dont want to deal with the trailer and there is never any issues and my truggy weighs in at a skinny #6000 pounds /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I used to do it with my wifes expedition and still didnt have problems /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Its not that I dont have a trailer, its just that having an extra trailer at a camp site is annoying. Would it be be less than safe to tow a Mitsu Montero (second gen) flat?

Or is safety outweighing, and I should tow on the trailer instead?

Tow rig: 92 k2500 ext cab long bed.
    Rig to be towed: 92 Mitsu montero

[/ QUOTE ]

I tow my K5 behind my crew cab long bed SRW, never had a problem but I also don't go faster than 60.
    Just be safe and don't hurry and you should be fine.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I flat towed my M-37 from Barstow CA to NC using a MIL tow bar and my former '80 K5 w/manual trans. The rear tires on the K5 took a beating from the M-37 wanting to wander.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Max 'trailer' weight without brakes in the majority of states is 3000 lbs. Whether it can be done and whether it's strictly legal are two different things. Check your local state laws regarding towing and make your decision then.

Rene

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Max 'trailer' weight without brakes in the majority of states is 3000 lbs. Whether it can be done and whether it's strictly legal are two different things. Check your local state laws regarding towing and make your decision then.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I know in CA so far it's legeal to flat tow with no brakes assist, but god knows for how long, in Nevada I know it's not anymore or it's changing, I just found out recently since most of us Californians go to Nevada for most of our trips or at least go through it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif