Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's The Most Amazing Running...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jeff427, Sep 5, 2000.

1. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

What\'s The Most Amazing Running...

Motor, that shouldn't be, that you've ever seen???

I have had first hand experience with a few. I had a 350 SB that shattered a piston, which we then changed out for a dished one (it had flat tops) and ran it after that for several months.

I have a friend who had a 1980 Chevy Monza with a 4 cyl. that lost power one day, upon closer inspection, we found it had a rod sticking out the side of the block, and it still ran.

Another friend had a 79 Olds Cutlass that he drove for a month with a rod knocking, then it started smoking real bad for another week after that. We tore it down to find that the shock from the rod knock completely shattered the piston, which was in the oil pan, and the rod and wrist pin running up and down the cylinder wall wore through into the water jacket, and that's why it was smoking. It would still start and run before we tore it down.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

2. Re: What\'s The Most Amazing Running...

I've got one.My budy had a 69 chevy 2wd with a 250 six in it.He drove this truck for years with this motor in it,we pulled my 63 impala from Ohio to Tenn. with this truck.
    It always had a little rough idle,and he wanted a little more power so he pulls the motor and put in a 350.Well we
    tair the old motor down,and it has a ruber plug where the #5
    cylnder should be!!!No rod,no piston,just a ruber plug!!!!This thing never failed to start.That was the most amazing thing I'd ever saw!But its a chevy,anything is possible.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s The Most Amazing Running...

<font color=blue>About this time last year, i drove 30 miles home with all 8 piston rings broken and no oil.</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Maybe not in the same class, but just got back from elk hunting with my uncle and others...........he has a crappy F$%d wimpy pickup with the 300 ci six.......gets 8 mpg, by the way........and he has changed the oil TWICE........the truck has over 175,000 miles on it. Imagine the insides of that thing...........

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I had a Cherokee with a 304(gutless) that threw two rods going over an overpass. It never even died. then I drove it another 10 miles to the house, even had a decent idle at stoplights. Also had an '84 Celica that I used to run down the autobahn at 145mph all the time. It finally developed a hell of a rod knock, but I kept driving it anyway. One day the knock went away and I lost more power. Popped open the hood and there was a big hole in the side of the block, yet it still ran.

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine was getting a 72 toyota 1,6 picked upp for the wreckyard. He wasnt going to give it to them running so they went out to try and kill it. Drained all the oil out of it raced it in the woods for hours. They jumped it, maxed it out in first gear,took turns doing donuts, jumped it some more. Just wouldnt die, all it did was idle a litle ruff. Finally they were all exhausted, faces black with dust and sweat, and tears because they were laughing so hard. They filled sand in it, and it still ran. Started sounding a litle fordish in the end, but ran it did. When the wrecker-truck came to pick it upp they drove it upp on the tow-truck.
    True story.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

7. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

When I was a teenager a friend of mine had purchased a '70 Dodge Challenger as a home for a built 340 he had in another car. Being the destructive deviants we were (5 friends and myself), we just HAD to blow up the 318 that came in the Challenger before we pulled it...

First we started holding the throttle wide open for easily 10 minutes with valves-a-floatin, while we dropped just about anything we could find down the carb and oil filler tube... Nuts, bolts, rocks, sand, oil soaked kitty litter, a full container of BBs, laundry detergent, small chinese sockets... Man, if it'd fit... We threw it down there.

Next, we all took turns driving the car down a back road at high speed and dropping it into first and reverse. This lasted about 1-hour with the Mopar still haning in there. Next came the full throttle nuetral drops... This road looked like starting line at the local drag strip by the time we were done[​IMG]. After which came the 30mph in reverse drops into drive at full throttle... That damn Mopar just wouldn't give up.

We ended up quiting since the day was wearing on and we'd yet to start the engine swap which had to be finished THAT day. Not one single piece of the drivetrain gave up the goose! When we ended up pulling the heads off for giggles and it had looked like someone had installed the pistons and valves with a sledgehammer... Yet it still ran... Not very well, but it RAN. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>~BigBurban</font color=blue>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

While this is not total destruction story I have seen something that I feel is amazing. I recently went to a Supra event at the local dyno place. These cars come with 3.0 inline 6 engines. Well bunch of guys were pulling in the 400hp range at the rear wheels and they figure about 20% driveline loss. Well they guy who organized this deal pulls up a MPEG on the places computer of a 94 twin turbo Supra. vid shows the guy blip the throttle and it looked like it was going to come off the rollers. Then they guy goes into the dyno run, eases into it and get it into 4th gear turning about 3.5k (about 80mph) he lays into the trottle smokes the tires for a split second and the car just makes the most amazingly loud scream. It was violent! car idles down and the vid shows the dyno numbers. 874 rwhp! thats over 1100 crank out of a 3.0 engine! Yeah it has some ho up parts like titanium rods, metal head gasket and some other tricks the block and head are still Toyot factory parts. This is a daily driver here in Atlanta. I really don't want to be in the same county when that booger lets go. Ohh btw that was an honest pull without NOS. Just turbo.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

9. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

There is a huge 4wheel event every year in summertown Tennessee, A friend drove his 86 k-5 with 42" tires fender flares, lockers, (the works) There was a large mud hole which was almost completely water. He plunged into it with nery' a concern. For whatever reason, (god knows what) His Blazer had a hose that went from the valve cover (pcv) down to the frame. (Had I seen this it would have thrown up red flags left and right) This hose served as a straw sucking water directly into the motor. It ran like crap, but made the hour long trip home. The crankcase was completely filled with water, there was a lite sheen of oil though! I checked my blazer for this the day I bought it.

"who dares wins"

10. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I've seen that mpg also Grim,,, that's just freaking amazing! I had about 470 hp ( Full BPU ) on my 95 Supra TT.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska