Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats the most complete 6"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dkodyssey, Feb 24, 2003.

1. dkodyssey

dkodyssey Registered Member

whats the most complete 6\"

I want themost complete 6" so i dont have to go out and buy other parts.i was looking at the skyjacker...does anyone know of a kit that is more complete.i know this will help a few other people looking at the same set up as mine.thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dkodyssey

Re: whats the most complete 6\"

anyone know?

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

roughcountry. or skyjacker. but RC is cheapest

NITRO

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you want a really nice lift, you really don't want a kit. You want to piece your own kit together from the highest quality part for each thing. A little more time consuming to do, but in my experience there's always somethign in the kit that doesn't go quite right.</font>

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> If you want a really nice lift, you really don't want a kit. You want to piece your own kit together from the highest quality part for each thing. A little more time consuming to do, but in my experience there's always somethign in the kit that doesn't go quite right.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have said it better myself /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I first lifted my truck with at "kit" and now I'm replacing everthing to make a suspension that actually works. If you're just after height any of the above mentioned companies will do fine.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I first lifted my truck with at "kit" and now I'm replacing everthing to make a suspension that actually works. If you're just after height any of the above mentioned companies will do fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> That's the same reason that I know this to be true, I lifted mine with a complete(ish) 6" kit and now I have replaced or am planning to replace pretty much every item that came with the kit. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font>

7. dkodyssey

if you guys dont mind,what parts would or did you use for a 6"?a list of all the parts would be sooooo cool /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifwould it be cheaper this way?also, i dont really want to use blocks if possible.oh yea,where cani get all these parts.one more thing,i want 6" without a bodylift.i knowimpicky but pllllleeeaaaaassseee help me

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, here's a list of suspension parts that I think would be great for starters:
    Of couse you'll need a raised steering arm, longer shocks and extended brake lines.
    Front springs: 6" Tough Country ez-rides or 6" BDS
    Rear: ORD shackle flip, stock springs, and ORD zero-rate (that'll be around 5" so you may want to think about leaving out the zero-rate and putting in an add-a-leaf - however that'll give you a stiffer ride).
    Or, for the rear - do a springer setup or Ford 57" springs.
    There aren't too many options with the front - you basically just need to buy quality springs. You can use the ORD zero-rate up there too, but there won't be a need if you're going 6". You could/should replace the stock front shackles with ORD's heavier ones - they'll get you maybe another 1/4-1/2" of lift.
    Dang, that sounds like an advertisement for ORD! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Of couse you'll need a raised steering arm, longer shocks and extended brake lines.
    Rear: ORD shackle flip, stock springs, and ORD zero-rate (that'll be around 5" so you may want to think about leaving out the zero-rate and putting in an add-a-leaf - however that'll give you a stiffer ride).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably the best all around combo right there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Everthing can be ordered from Offroaddesign.com And if you read around more here, they are one of the best companies to deal with. You can't go wrong with this setup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif This combo will also ride 10 times better that any kit, nice and soft on the street, and great flex offroad.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Or, for the rear - do a springer setup or Ford 57" springs.
    There aren't too many options with the front - you basically just need to buy quality springs. You can use the ORD zero-rate up there too, but there won't be a need if you're going 6". You could/should replace the stock front shackles with ORD's heavier ones - they'll get you maybe another 1/4-1/2" of lift.
    Dang, that sounds like an advertisement for ORD!

[/ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green">I agree, that sounds like a good setup to me too. I'd do the springer setup in the back with some Ford 57s if you want the most flex. The 6" Tuff COuntry EZ Rides are my pick for the front. Ford F-150 shock towers in teh front and some sort of inboard kit for the rear shocks, with Rancho 9012s all the way around. You'll need extended brake lines and your driveshafts will need to be made longer. This will cost you more than a regular kit, but you will be much hapier in the long run with it. There are hidden costs in the kit too, such as steering correction and the extended brakelines. usually the kits just have brake line relocation kits (cheesy) and the steering correction is optional. To lay it out for you from start to finish -

Start by making sure that everything on the truck is safe and in good shape, this includes the steering joints, all drag link and tie rod ends, wheel bearings, brakes and ball joints. This is a very important step that is often skipped.

Lift components -

Front -
    6" TC EZ ride springs
    Extended brake lines
    Rancho 9012 shocks
    Ford shock towers
    lengthened driveshaft
    4-6" Raised steering arm
    U-bolts

Rear
    57" Ford springs
    Springer suspension kit (you can buy a complete bolt on kit from Springer too, including springs)
    Rancho 9012s (or shorter shocks if you don't want to relocate the shocks)
    Shock relocation kit (From 55Willy on CK5 or another source, there's a few of them)
    Extended brake line
    lengthened driveshaft (you might need to get a CV shaft for a 6" lift)
    U-bolts

This setup will ramp near or over 1000 on a 20 degree ramp and should be nicely balanced front to rear as far as flex goes. It will ride as well as or better than the stock suspension and will still handle pretty well.

It will cost more than a regular kit, but you get what you pay for. Figure on paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $1200-$1500, should be less than $500 more than a bolt on kit with rear springs, after you add on the price of all the extra stuff like the brake lines, D-shaft work and steering correction.

11. dkodyssey

thanks,where can i get the ford shock towers?my buddy owns a junkyard,can i get them off a specific truck or do i have to order them new?also,does this springer company have a website or a site where i can get them?does ord carry them?
    this truck is gonna cost me more than i expected and take a good year to be complete but i know its well worth it when im showin the jeeps whats up.

12. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Shaggy,

I think you pretty well nailed it, but I would make one change. Buy the lift without bushings and buy ORD greaseable bushings. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Springer setup for the rear.
    As far as the shock towers, I don't know much about that mod, but they are something you can find in a junkyard. Don't know what vehicle to get them off of though, sorry.

I'd love to have the suspension Shaggy just said, but unfortunately that'll take more time and money than I have at this point. If you do it...get some pics, I can't wait to see it done.

14. dkodyssey

sorry to keepin buggin youguys,but is
    shackle drop brackets
    #0274 shackles
    bump stops - Daystar KU9007
    shackle bushings - KJ20009
    B-Line stop bracket
    F-150 springs
    re-drill center pin / add leafs
    4 degree angle shims
    track bar
    5/8" rod ends - NAT-MAX10T

all i need for the rear suspention?all that is in the kit off of springer.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yes, Marv makes one hella nice kit for the rear suspension in K5's.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Shaggy,

I think you pretty well nailed it, but I would make one change. Buy the lift without bushings and buy ORD greaseable bushings. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Derf, I was gonig to add that in there but was unsure as to whether the splitting problems are 100% solved, and didn't want to recommend a mod that might have issues. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>