Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the problem here?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Nov 21, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What\'s the problem here?????

My 305 runs real rough when I first start it up. Almost sounds like it's not firing all eight cylinders, but it eventually smooths out. I thought it was due to the cold mornings(30 degrees) but I started it this afternoon(65 degrees) and it ran rough. I need to increase the idle 'cause it's at 500 right now. Would that solve the problem? The carb is about 3 weeks old. Also it puffed out black smoke this afternoon, but it wasn't a lot. Thanks for your input.

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s the problem here?????

this is novice input, but is the choke set right?? I had mine rebuilt and the choke was outtawack (brooklynese). I had a friend "recalibrate it" and it ran smooth, also check your timing anyway, it takes only a couple a mins. and make sure all you plugs are tight and the wires are snug.....goodluck..........JS

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I don't mean to post twice but i forgot to mention. In drive, and stopped, and at operating temp, you should be idling at about 750. pop your hood and check your emissions sticker. you neglected to say what year.......js

4. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

You call 30 degrees a cold morning? where you at, Hawaii? Get your hot idle up where it belongs (900 rpm,) and also check your chock pull off for proper operation.

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

hey gopherkiller here in az 50 is a cold morning lol about the truck sorry cant help there

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I got the idle back up to 850 and it runs fine now[​IMG]. Hell, 80 degrees is a cold morning in Texas[​IMG][​IMG] 30 is getting into the artic temperatures.

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

7. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Blazerguy, how did you fix this problem, I'm having the same problem with mine.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The idle was too low on my new carb(500 RPM), so I got it up to around 850 and it works fine now. I think I need to adjust my timing though, you might wanna try that on yours.

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG][​IMG]

9. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Hell...30 degrees in Ohio isn't even worth puttin' yer shoes on! We consider -30 "a little chilly".....anything above zero is shorts weather.