Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the proper way to do paint touch ups?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by afroman006, Jul 11, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My burb has some paint flaking off in spots and a few are starting to rust /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif. I have a little bottle of paint that I got at the dealership but I just put it on a couple places (without any prep) and it flaked off prety quickly. Whats the correct way to cover up bare spots like that and how do I remove small specs of rust before I paint? Thx

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'm assuming it's not clear coat. Is it a rattle can or were you brushing it on? A wire brush, some good medium-grit sandpaper and denatured alcohol should do the trick for prep, then put several thin coats on to ensure a good base. The alcohol will get all the remaining grease and moisture off the metal so it has a solid base to stick to, and the wire brush will make the surface rough for good adhesion. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Its the little brusk on tube they sell at the dealerships. So basically, rough up, clean, then paint. Cool. Would it be ok if I thinned the touch up paint? Its kinda thick and last time i put it on it went on globby. Thx

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You could probably thin it a little bit if it's globby. Go easy on the thinner though.