Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats the real deal on "truing" tires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Dec 14, 2001.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

whats the real deal on \"truing\" tires?

and more importantly.....who does it?? my swampers could use a little trim and i was curious if anyone has done this.

they are always talking about it on the pirate board, but all the places i called dont know what im talking about!!

later rob

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: whats the real deal on

A tire truing machine rotates the tire. As the tire is rotating a razor sharp cutting tool is applied to the surface of the tread. A small ammount or rubber is shaved off all the high and out of round spots on the tire. The finished product is a perfictly round tire. Its kind of like putting your tire in a lathe.
    A trued tire will ride great, take a lot less weight to balance it and last far longer.
    It is hard to find places who true tires any more. It takes time to properly true a tire. So in todays hurry up and get it done world very few tire shops do it any more. Also modern tires are not as out of round as they used to be. Also tire dealers dont want your tires to last a very very long time. They want you back to buy more.
    Check with speed shops or 4x4 stores in your area. A tire shop that specalizes in big truck(18 wheelers) tires should have a truing machine. Also places that sell a lot of recap tires probabally has one. Because recaps come out pretty out of round.

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Re: whats the real deal on \"truing\" tires?

Tire shops in my area don't even know what siping is [​IMG]

They do it for big rig tires, check with commercial/industrial tire shops.

Good luck.

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Re: whats the real deal on \"truing\" tires?

Damn! I use to be a fore-skin at a major chain tuck stop that did truck-tires and oil-changes. Was also a tire-buster for more years than I want to admit.(Was young, strong, and stupid) I would run the tires on a spin balancer and CAREFULLY chalk-mark the high spots as she spins. Notice the CAREFULLY here! You have to make sure you go steady so ya ONLY hit the high spots. Then..it's grooving iron time. Before all this...you DID explore inflation pressures, alignment, usage,balancing, and having the tires moved relative to the RIMS? RIGHT?

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive