Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the real deal??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Apr 2, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Is there much of a difference between a radial swamper and the tsl?? Some people say the radials last longer others say they dont but they ride better. Someone today told me that the tsl's are fine if you dont live in cold wether! I guess when its cold they take a while to warm up and smooth out the ride. I have Mickey Thompson baja belted, which one of these will be close to that? Is the radial worth the extra $$. Do they really last that much longer??

2. doonjumper

doonjumper 1/2 ton status

Heres the deal with radial vs. bias tires. Bias tires are very stiff tires making for a very hard ride due to the lack of sidewall flex. Radials on the otherhand are very flexible and give a bmuch smoother ride. In the cold weather bias tires seem to get a "flat spot" when parked for long periods such as overnight. It usually takes about 1-2 miles before the flat spot goes away. As far as which tire lasts longer, as in any other case it depends on the conditions and driver. I have about 12 years in the tire biz and radials seem to be more forgiving than bias tires. I bias tire may rip when punctured with a large object like say a putty knife, (yes I have pulled out putty knives out of tires and believe you me that ain't the strangest thing that I have pulled out), where as a radial won't because of the steel belts that are molded into the tire.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have used both on my Jimmy. Well TSL bias plys(currently) and Kelly DTR's.. About the only difference I notice in ride was the flat spots but they go away after a few miles.

Tread wear, my radials lasted longer....

BUt you cant beat a swamper, Bias or radial!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

" Ah.. Hong Kong, home of shiny green suit!"