Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the red thing by carb?(for wiring)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skigirl, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

What\'s the red thing by carb?(for wiring)

Hi, still in wiring hell. There's a small (1" x1") red rubber/plastic coated piece with places for 2 wires at the bottom, that is attached to a metal bar. The metal bar screws into a plate back of the carb and the throttle cable goes thru a hole in the bar.

This little red thing is right next to the hole where the throttle cable comes through this metal bar. There is a small metal arm at the top of this red thing that moves back and forth.

Anybody know what it is, and what wires go to it?

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s the red thing by carb?(for wiring)

Sounds to me like it could be a kick-down switch for a turbo 400?

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm. I bought a kickdown switch that mounts next to the gas pedal and activates when the pedal is floored. The th400 in my rig is not stock, tho on the gas pedal there were holes to mount the switch. Maybe this red thingy isn't stock either and the previus owner didn't finish the job...

However it does look like this red thing could have something to do with it, only because there's a part of a yellow wire (the previous owner did all wiring mods in yellow [​IMG]) that's attached to one terminal with a connector and another yellow wire just hanging there that goes to the th400 (sender?).

If the wire from the th400 sender goes to one terminal on the little red thingy and the other wire comes from the other terminal on the red thingy and goes to the kickdown switch in the cab, what do you suppose the red thingy does?

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Anybody else have any ideas?

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have seen both types of kick down switches. The one that bolts to the pedal assembly in the cab, and the one that mounts to the throttle cable bracket. Does the throttle linkage contact the metal lever on the switch when opened? If so, then I would say that it is a kick down switch. You have the option of using either one, but I wouldn't use both. Which ever one you use, you need a power wire going to one terminal and the wire from the trans going to the other terminal. I hope this helps in some way????? [​IMG]

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks Mike. It looks like there may have been a connection at one time to the lever - there's a hole in the lever, and currently a wire tying a piece of pull chain from a lamp (OK that's weird) attached to the lever but not to anything else.

And yes, your reply helps a lot.[​IMG]

I can run power for either one. Good to know I shouldn't use both - thot at first that the one by the throtttle was maybe something that acted as a relay or something. But the lever on top didn't make sense, and of course there's no telling if the red switch actually works. The one by the gas pedal is new, so I'll run it there.

Do you know if the setup needs any kind of in line fuse?

7. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

if you get your power source from an ignition source that is already running through a fuse you don't need an additional fuse, if it has no fuse then you would need one.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks 95Silverado!