Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the weirdest thing you've found outdoors?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by koldsimer, Jan 9, 2007.

1. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So I was thinking of all the weird stuff i have found while hiking/fishing/wheelin'. My strangest find is probably an entire set of encyclopedia brittanicas out in the desert west of Santa Fe. Go figure.:dunno: Another wierd find was on old 4 door car that I found in the mountains of Ruidoso, NM. It was about 1 mile up Perk canyon in the creek. I have no idea how it got there but it must have a crazy story behind it. So what have you found?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A 2000ish intrepid in a river while canoeing. Pot plants on our property, wasnt mine, and yes we turned them in. A dude floating down a river while fishing, turned his boat over a few miles upriver.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

My dad was tilling up our garden when I was younger, prolly around 12, found this one thing i didnt know what the hell it was, cleaned it up and hung onto it. about 3 years later I found out it was a Little Orphan Annie Decoder thing from the 40s I think. Ive still got it somewhere

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

When we were about 12 years old, my cousin and I found an abandoned hearse while riding our bikes in the "ash dumps".. grandma lived in uniontown PA, a little coal mining town which had overgrown ash piles all over the place.. when we got older, we would try to break our trucks back there... now they've all been leveled with nice housing developments on top of them..

Finding the hearse was kinda spooky..no body though.. we checked.. the funny thing is, we took my uncle back there to show him, and we never found it again..

Tom

6. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

When I Was Around Ten, A Buddy And Me Found A Military Duffle Bag Bag. Inside Were A Small Military Raft, Red And Yellow Military Smoke Grenades, Military Sleeping Bag, Paper Sack Full Of Ammo. Best I Can Remember The Ammo Ranged From .357 To 50 Cal. There Were Alson Some Old Dried Up Rubbers In There.

7. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When the water level is down on Bartlett Lake North of Scottsdale AZ , we see a small block chrysler come out for a little while . No one has ever hauled it off . Dunno where the rest of the boat or vehicle is , but the engine hasn't rusted away :dunno: why . I have a pic somewhere .

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

A mirror.

Now I'm scarred for life. :D

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

11. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Went riding bikes in a state park in Delaware. Came up on some clothes and some blankets on the side of the trail. Hear a girl shouting, and then look up and there is a naked guy about 15-20 feet up a tree, and his naked girlfriend trying to hide at the base of the same tree. Looked like they were playing Tarzan. Good times.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A few memorable things...some weird stuff in MA!

I've seen some weird stuff out in the woods...

Where I was born,there was a big pine tree about two feet thick--it has a picket fence post that speared it,during hurricane "Carol" in 1953!..

Not far from that house,we found a huge underground cavern that went on and on--you had to squeeze through a 18" opening to get inside,but once you were in there it was huge!--big stalagmites hanging from the ceiling,and much of it had a brook flowing through it--a very scary and eerie place!..much of it was slippery,and we all feared one of us would slip and fall into the cracks, and never be found again!...

One day we heard voices in there,and what sounded like a bear growling!--we never went back in there,and a few years later we were too big to fit thru the opening we used as an entrance..cops we told about that place later in life,said drug addicts and theives used it as a hideout,and a womans body was found there ,years before I was even born!..:eek1:

I've found strange things while prospecting with my metal detector where I live now in the woods behind our house,that haven't been ever developed as far as I knew--but I found a small brass bell,bolts that look like they came from a telephone pole,a glass insulator too,like the ones on light poles..and in a mound of dirt the dozed up while digging the cellar hole for our house they pushed way out back had an old camshaft from a '57 283 sticking out of it,and I found old AC spark plugs,points and condensor,busted up distributor cap,an old matress box spring,and lead battery terminals!..

I also found several HUGE old horseshoes,chains,old metal bands that were part of crates or barrels,and a harness for a horse..We think our property used to be an apple orchard way back when--only one or two trees left now..the Taunton river nearby once was a big shipbuilding area,and whiskey factories were also located there..many folks find arrowheads and other indian artifacts here,but I haven't been so lucky..one guy found a tommohawk in near perfect shape, in between rocks in a stone wall ,not far from my house!..

One weird thing out back is a big rock about 6' in diameter..if you look at it from the right angle,it appears to have either a dinosour face carved into it,or a crockodile..to me it looks just like a full sized replica of a Tyranasourous Rex head!-it has teeth,an eye,you'd swear someone purposely made it,not something nature did on its own!..with all the native americans that once roamed these woods,who knows ??..

There are other rocks that are made into triangles too,that appear to have been trail markers,pointing tnorth towards Boston..also some flat slate ones too..no writing on them,so I'm fairly certain they aren't gravestones--but there are 6 ancient cemataries within a mile of here,so it could be unmarked graves--we had a smallpox epidemic here in the 1850's,and I ain't gonna go digging !...:eek1:

Saw some very weird lights in my old hometown once too--I was about 9 years old,we were camping near my friends house in the woods when we saw them..floating balls of red and blue light,looked like beach ball sized bubbles,just sort of floating around,then they would suddenly zip off,and be a mile away!..my friends parents thought we were nuts when we ran back to the house scared out of out wits..but the father said when he went back to our tent to get his lantern and other stuff,he saw them too,and was petrified!..:eek1: many others in town saw them too,including several ploice officers!..:crazy:

13. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

When I was stationed at the Defense Language Institute my girlfriend and I were tromping though the woods looking for a place to "seal the deal" when we found an old car. Most of the body had rusted away, but there were pedals sticking out of the ground. We dug most of it up, the rear axle, frame, rims, springs, tranny were all still there. Later on I found out it was an old Ford, from the 30's. It was wierd finding it there, no roads around for miles.

Also, once we were tilling my dads garden and found an old axe head that had Sears Roebuck stamped on it. Cleaned it up and threw a handle on it and my dad still uses it.

Best of all was trampin through the woods around Goshen Plantation in Augusta, GA. We found a bunch of old buildings and gravesites, as well as a bunch of old spring heads. The spring heads still had pipes running into them as well as some old iron doors that had "Goshen Plantation 1814" on them. Found out later that the buildings and gravesites were old slave barracks. Creepy place.

14. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

I was walking around with my buddy one day in this old pasture.
    we walked up this hill into the forrest by it and came across
    dozens of dead cows, it was a cow grave yard :eek1:
    I poked one with a stick and it stunk so freaking bad :doah:

15. mud hungry

mud hungry 1/2 ton status

weirdest thing that I found was when i was ten or so fishing with my Dad and I reeled in a bra it was about a 44dd size.

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

One dead man. Another man that died before I could get him medical help.

When I was a kid, went deerhunting on land that is now underwater at Truman Reservoir. Found a HUGE salvage yard. Newest car was late 40s. I brought home about 50 hubcaps from that trip.

17. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Found a perfectly good lever action .22 while riding up an old dirt road bout 20 years ago.

18. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

found a rake head in a hole where i about found a broken knee when we buried an xj and tj...

19. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

also found a burned up lincoln, some cops, a stuck dually, a great fishing hole i'll never find again, a bent frame for my 4runner, lots of shotgun shells, a big open dirt field we dug into a little articulation pit with shovels, a boat that was at our party spot for at least 2 years before it got dragged through the canal it was right next to, and a pretty funny joke:

"A buddy and I were out in the desert near Barstow. We found a REALLY deep looking hole about 15 feet across. To find out how deep it was, I threw in a little rock. We heard it hit the sides; never heard it hit bottom. I said to my buddy “That must be a deep hole.” He took a BIG rock, about the size of his head. He dropped it in; never heard it hit. I said “That must be a REALLY deep hole.” There was an old railroad tie sitting there. We levered it over with a shovel and a crow bar; dropped it in. While we were listening, a goat came running by and jumped down the hole. “WTF?” we asked each other. Just then, an old guy comes up and asks “Have you fellas seen my goat?” I said “Don’t know if it was your goat, but some goat just jumped down that hole.” He said “Couldn’t have been my goat. My goat was tethered to a railroad tie.” "

20. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Found a REO Speedwagon in the mountains in AZ