Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats this do??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by js4x4, Dec 17, 2004.

1. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have an 87 engine (TBI) and i know you disconnect the tan/black stripe wire to set the base timing....aside from disabling the electronic advance, what does it do?? or disable, is more accurate maybe? does it remove the computer altogether from all systems?? I'm just trying to rule something out. It runs great unplugged (well, 'cept it doesn't advance the spark), but connected at idle, in gear it stalls.

Any thoughts fellas?

2. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

nobody??

3. 90v1500

90v1500 Registered Member

Are you getting any "codes"? There are a few things it could be, Knock sensor, Distributor (weak magnets), , EGR, or ESC. If you do a search there are a few posts about this problem. On mine it was the knock sensor.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

It makes it so you can set the base timing.

5. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

yeah, i know it sets base timing, was just curious what else it disabled....i've replaced all the sensors already. Should the EGR be movable by hand??

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Flux Capacitor maybe? Seriuosly I think it just disables the electronic advance.

7. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I actually bypassed the flux capacitor with a paper clip and a wad of used gum...thats not 'bad' is it??.

Seriously, Thanks, thats what i thought....i've been thinking it was the TCC solenoid, but man....it doesn't stall with that wire disconnected (and doesn't stall *all the time*, so have been thinking its something else. (i almost replaced the TCC last weekend, but ALL the chevy dealers in SD are sold out of them...) and its really bugging me. I think I'll replace the EGR.....(on a plus side, i have 6 qts of tranny fluid and a filter/gasket set to return) :xmas: