Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats this piece? Pulled this out of my diff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, May 14, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I know what the penny is /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    [​IMG]
    Whats the other thing!? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

shim maybe? what diff?

edit: too small the be a shim /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

That thing is F*CKED-UP! That's what it is. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

is that a clutch? from a limited slip unit??

5. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    is that a clutch? from a limited slip unit??

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

You got me wondering if it had a gov bomb that popped and they tossed in an open /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Unknown diff till we have a positive ID on the piece /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

It is a shim that goes between the careir and one of the spider gears on the cross shaft...Id put 20 bucks on it.

7. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

thats what it is i guarantee seen it many of times. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I know what it is!! It's MY penny!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

(it really is my penny)

9. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Go to page two of my truck web shots and there is a view of a front diff. , it is part # 35
    You will have to play with the view to make it large enough to see clearly.
    Hope it helps you out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    BTW nice penny lol.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

That is the washer/shim from behind one of the spiders gear in a 14bff. In this picture, near the top, is another example..
    [​IMG]

I've seen a bazillion of those things when after welding ALOT of 14b's. I have never seen a 14b where atleast one of those things wasn't fawked up in some way. If you happen to need another one, I could probably dig one up for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

I've seen a bazillion of those things when after welding ALOT of 14b's. I have never seen a 14b where atleast one of those things wasn't fawked up in some way. If you happen to need another one, I could probably dig one up for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Well I'm glad to hear its not a bad (well at least uncommon) thing.... We pulled the cover off the 14bolt and I notided it had alot of sledge in the bottom. I took my finger and wiped the sledge out and got one half of that washer... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif we looked and looked to see where it would come out of. Then we got thinking maybe since this axle has the spacer and 4.56's on a 4.10 carrier maybe it had a gov loc and popped and they put in the open without cleaning the inside out real good /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    So where would this piece exit the carrier at?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    This is my $10.50 eBay win /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    [​IMG]
    It's the narrow dually axle, so I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to use it or not, I just couldn't let this pass on ebay. There was an opening bid of 10$, then about a day and half till the end I made a $12 bid and it ended at $10.50 (the second bid /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif)

So what do you think? Weld on some disk brake brackets out on the spindle and swap to SRW hubs? I was hoping it was the wider of the two dually axles then I would have just put it in the truck with dually hubs for now and had the rear 72" and the front 69-70" (10bolt). But this dually is the 63" WMS axle (the cab and chassie version I think).

12. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I know what it is!! It's MY penny!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

(it really is my penny)

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    It is a shim that goes between the careir and one of the spider gears on the cross shaft...Id put 20 bucks on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carrier shim was my first guess but it was too small, then the spider shim/washer was my second guess, but I wasn't sure /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I didn't see a place large enough for it to come out of the carrier /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is correct.

Hey thats $20 he gets. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    So where would this piece exit the carrier at?

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess would be through one of the windows in the carrier where you can see the side gears. I'd have to look at a carrier, but IIRC, half of one of those things should fit through there.

16. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I found the same thing in my 14 bolt:

[​IMG]

Good thing it's an easy fix! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I found the same thing in my 14 bolt:

[​IMG]

Good thing it's an easy fix! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks almost exactly like the piece I found in my 14BFF upon teardown. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I bought replacements from the stealership. I think I paid around $15-20 for a pack of six, which is convenient since you only need 4 in the entire diff. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifoh yeah you know i accept pay pal! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif