Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what's this sending unit for....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben Malinski, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

what\'s this sending unit for....

On the intake between the carb and the distributor on a SBC? 84 full size. What's it for? Thanks! No vacuum lines. These are wires going into the harness.

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Re: what\'s this sending unit for....

Most likely a vacuum port. Seen it used for the vacuum for the power brakes

3. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

No vacuum lines. These are wires.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Got me! PICS?

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like an oil pressure sender to me- is it cylinder shaped? About 2-3 inches tall? Wire(s) plug into the top of the unit?

6. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Your discription is acturate. I have a oil light on the dash in the speedometer housing. Two lights; one brake and one for oil. The light goes out when the engine starts up after a few seconds. So it's working fine I guess. The I have a oil pressure guage. So I take it that the one you discribe is the oil light sending unit?

7. Can Can

I know for a fact that it is hooked into your oil pressure gauge. It may very well be connected to the idiot light as well. FWIW, if you feel that you need to replace it, it's a super basic swap. The sender is threaded into the intake- unscrew the old one and screw the new one in.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

All the Chebbies I've ever seen had the oil pressure port in the block, just behind the edge of the intake, behind the distributor. He's describing this piece as being between the carb and the distributor. The only things I can think of to "measure" there are vacuum, EGR temp, or coolant temp. Oil doesn't flow into the intake.

9. Can Can

Hmmmmmmm.....I've replaced my oil pressure sending unit a couple of times, but I just assumed it screwed into the intake. I never really looked that closely seeing as I was already in a pretty uncomfortable position to begin with. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regardless, the only "piece" back there that is wired up, other than the dist. itself, is the oil pressure sending unit. I beleive on an 84 there may be a ESC hookup too.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I never really looked that closely seeing as I was already in a pretty uncomfortable position to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That sumb!tch is definitely in an awkward place! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif There's a notch in the back of the intake to clear the hole in the rear edge of the block. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif