Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats this ticking noise!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Nov 19, 2004.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Ok, lets see how you guys are at diagnostics /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a ticking coming from the tranny/t-case area of my truck. It is pretty noticiable in the cab -no carpet- and it has been getting worse over the last two years. I thought maybe it was the t-case (203) but it makes the tick when in park, so nothing should be moving in the t-case. Also the tick changes with rpms.

I have checked the torque converter bolts and they are ok, so what could it be and is it serious? The tranny also shifts fine and the fluid looks ok /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

mine ticked when my cat rubbed up against my frame /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

could the sound just be echoing through the gap around the t-case lever and it be an exhaust leak or something? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

is the flexplate cracked?? this is very common on chebbies! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    is the tin cover that covers the bottom part of the bellhousing bent and hitting a torque converter bolt??

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

ok...

I don't think it is an exhaust leak because of the tone...I will look to see if anything is hitting underneath and making the noise.

The inspection cover is already off so it is not that...I will check the flex plate and see if it is cracked though...

Its just really anoying, but it doesn't seem possible that the tranny would make the noise and not have any other symptoms right? I would think it it was a bad bearing or broken part the tranny wouldn't last long before grenading. Hmmm...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

yea i thot the noise on mine was my t-case, but w/ closer inspection i realized it was my exhaust rubbing/

7. cheyennesuper

cheyennesuper Registered Member

This might be a stupid question but where exactly is the flex plate? I got a loud rattle sound when i put it in reverse and drive coming from the torque converter/fly wheel area...It looks like there is a cross-threaded bolt in the fly-wheel when i looked...

8. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

I have same problem

My 700 r4 just started doing the exact same thing It sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of bicycle wheel. it changes with RPM, and sounds like it is coming from the front near the torque converter. I also have been having some other problems with tranny, 1. on cold start up when I put it in reverse it makes the same sound as above only louder. 2. when in OD if I stomp the pedal it shifts down and revs real high like it is slipping.

I know this its probally time to swap the SM 465 but before I do does any one think it might just be the torqe converter or something simple.

please help

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All the bad flexplates I've ever seen, were more noticeable when you put a good load on the drivetrain. Like starting out at the bottom of a steep driveway, the noise would be pronounced, but just cruising down the street you wouldn't hear it.

I'm sure it depends on HOW bad the flexplate is cracked on how much and what kind of noise they make. I've seen the centers fall completely out when they were unbolted.

10. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

thanks
    ok, so lets say I pull the flexplate and replace it is it likely that my other problems ie: (slipping) will be related or is my tranny internals toasted.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I guess anything is possible, that slipping is due to a destroyed flexplate, but I REALLY doubt it.

Slipping in an auto tranny is indicative of internal failure of one type or 4000 others.

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There Is No Such Thing As Stupid Question

A flywheel is for a standard trans , and a flexplate is for an automatic , simmilar but different :k5: :k5: