Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's this world coming to?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rhinopkc, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

Dad and I were at the Harley Dealer yesterday, and I found this tag in all of their leather jackets. Kind of contradictory, don't you think?

06-10-06_1524.jpg

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Hard to find completely made in the USA anymore. The one I see now all the time is "Assembled in the USA". In other words, they make 90% of it offshore, then ship it in for final assembly here, which could consist of putting it in a box. Not a big deal, where are the shareholders and where is the profit going?

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought my Shovelhead the second year after Harley Davidson became a company again, was AMF/Harley Davidson, 1983, and the sliders have "Made in Japan" molded in 'em! I was pi$$ed.................

4. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

here is a real kicker. Stuff that has a made in China lable, most of it was actually made in Tiwan. put that in your pipe and smoke it for a while, i'm still chewing on that one myself and I learned that four years ago

5. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Don't forget about those enkei mag wheel's on Harleys that are made in japan and those jap mikuni caburators :haha: . I have to laugh at those custom choppers with a revtech (taiwan) motor and cheap made in mexico metal body work . To turely have an ALL American bike , you have to build it yourself and buy American parts . As for a leather jacket , I would spend the cash for a custom made Laglitz (I have one) made here in Oregon . I still have an old Excelled brand biker style leather jacket (made in the usa:bow: ) I've had it for 20+ years . I don't ride street bike anymore so my jackets just stay in the closet :o . Harley should be ashamed of themselves :mad: .

6. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

That jacket was $480 and paper thin, for $650 I can have a custom, made in Long Beach (California is still sort of America) Bates leather jacket that is way beefier. I just think it's funny to have made in China right under "An American Legend". Walking in the H-D dealer is like walking into Wal-Mart now, everything is made in china.

7. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

This new generation of yuppies are major consumer whores and wanna buy an image sooooo bad :haha: . I always thought if Harleys were such a great motorcycle THEN why is the Cycletrader always filled with tons of used/hardly ridden harleys . I guess it was just a fad for the yuppies :haha: .

8. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

:mad: it just as bad as walking in to the gift store on a marine base and seeing all the Vietnam vet stuff with a tag saying made in vietnam (true story) i was with a vet and he complained. now if u go in there the bottom part of the tag is cut off
    :mad:

9. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

I've noticed this before, it must be quite a kick in the nuts to a vietnam vet.

10. Desert Rat

I'm not quite sure why that would be a bad thing. Taiwan, aka the Republic of China, is a democratic nation (generally speaking) and a friend to the U.S. They are a nice sharp stick in the eye of the People's Republic of China who hates that fact that they have the second highest standard of living in Asia and who have a hundred times more freedom than the sheeple in mainland China.

11. Desert Rat

Explain to me why Cycle Trader is also full of Japanese bikes? Also, try and find a 30 yr. old Japanese bike for sale. Japanese bikes are great. They are fast, they are generally reliable, but they are also disposables. Most people buy them like cars. Every 5 yrs. or so you throw it away and get the latest and greatest. Harleys just get cooler the older they get. If you want reliability, get a BMW or a Japanese bike. If you want history and a certain feel, get a Harley. All are good, they are just different. The main thing is that you ride. Brand bigotry is still bigotry......:rolleyes: I've owned many brands and they all have their purpose and feel.

Oh, and just for ****s and grins, I conducted a very un-scientific poll. I got on cycletrader.com and ran all year 2000 motorcycles for sale in California. Cycle Trader only returns 200 at a time but each page seemed to be pretty representative. So, I counted them up by brand to see how many people were dumping their motorcycle after about 6 years, which is pretty common for a car too.

Japanese bikes 87
    Harley-Davidson 62
    BMW, Aprilia, customs 51

Then I ran all year 1976 motorcycles for sale in California.

Harley-Davidson 7
    Japanese bikes 4
    Triumph 1

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Just to play devil's advocate on this one, what are the percentages of the bikes? Dirt, street, other? Can I safely say that the poll really isn't scientific since from what I see, dirt bikes are more play toys, therefore have more disposability (is that really a word?:D); whereas with your street bikes, which have in some opinion, more use since they can be used for travel, commuting, have more value???????????????

13. Desert Rat

All the bikes that I looked at were street bikes. And, like I said, un-scientific poll. But, I bet if you really did a serious one, you'd find that Japanese bikes far outweigh the Harley. It is just a matter of total bikes. There are simply more Japanese bikes than Harleys so it stands to reason that you would have more of them for sale. But, when you start looking for older bikes, then you find Harleys, Triumphs, Indians, and others. You don't see too many Japanese bikes. Part of this is because the Japanese didn't get into the market until later, but mainly because they are just not popular. I owned several Japanese bikes, including the forerunners to the Ninja style bikes, and had a good time with them. I moved into the Harley as I got older and I enjoy the slower pace and nostalgia of the Harley. I have to chuckle though when Japanese cruiser bike owners decry the Harley since all the V-Twin style Japanese cruisers are patterned after the Harley look and sound. If Harley comes out with a certain look, somebody tries to mimic it. If the aftermarket companies find something popular with the Harley crowd, then the Japanese cruiser crowd starts to buy the same items. The Harley is popular and just like everything in the marketplace, demand establishes price. So, people look for cheaper substitutes and find them in the Harley copycats. That is ok if that is what you can afford, or what somebody wants. But to poke fun at the Harley doesn't make sense. It comes across more as envy than anything else in my opinion.