Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by honda4x4nut, Nov 1, 2006.

1. honda4x4nut

honda4x4nut Registered Member

I just noticed om my new to me 86 k5 that the steering shaft is rigged with bailing wire at theconnector about 4 inches above the steering box. it looks like a 3" diameter plate with rubber and some bolts going through the outside egde of the plates. My question is what is this part of the steering shaft? and do i need to replace the entire shaft or can i just replace that part? Thanks

2. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thats probably the rag joint and you can just replace the rubber if its no good, theres a new rebuildable one you can buy from the help section at an auto parts or you can buy a whole new one from LMC truck. a pic would help to identify a problem too. oh and welcome! where are you at in south texas?

3. honda4x4nut

Thanks for the help obijuan... I am from Galveston, Texas. The rag joint is exactly what I was talking about. Thank you for your help. I look forward to soon being able to put some helpful info out for others.

4. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Hey honda Im form texas city just up the road. If you want to go wheeling give me a hollar. Btw welcom to ck5 and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2006
  5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

A better option is to replace it with a u-joint.

But fixing the rag joint is a good, cheap fix.

6. honda4x4nut

TxChevy18- I unfortunately cannot pm you. I have yet to become a member, I wanted to test out the forums before jumping in as a member, plus i never carry my credit cards. I would love to go wheeling with you but my blazer is far from ready. Ive got an atv but the blaze is far from being road ready. Where do you ride I go to pelican island in galveston and a small area off HWY.3 in Texas City. Im up in Texas City often i would love to see your blazer in person to admire and get some ideas on a good direction, just email me

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2006