Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&CatId=3&SubCatId=5

I've heard some guys talk about these before...so they are in the brake assembly but what do they do?

I just ordered the S44 to 1350 U-Joint from NAPA online since my local NAPA shop said that it doesn't exist anymore but they had a replacement so I bought it and well guess what it didn't fit so I just ordered it off of their site since I only have a couple more days to get stuff here for the swap...
    Anyway I saw those on there and wondered what they did and how...Thanks!

-A

2. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

the link just takes you to napa and not to a part

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yep, it requires you to put in the vehicle info. Either tell us which vehicle info to put in or find another link to what you're talking about.

4. Avery4jc

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Looks like wheel cylinder kits for the older style front drum brakes. Work just like rear wheel cylinders.

6. 1977k5

The description says wheel cylinder left front. The wheel cylinder is the hydraulic actuator that makes drum brakes transfer force to the brake shoes. What vehicle did you select? Does it have front drums?

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Uh when you step on the brakes the fluid flows between the pistons and pushes them outward causing the shoes to contact the drum. The friction between the shoe and drum cause the vehicle to slow down and eventually stop.

Ira

Damn I am slow :(

8. Avery4jc

Ok, so these little wheel cylinders are what the fluid is pumped through...then they push the pads into the drums?

Oh and the year didn't matter...I just put in a '78 K30...I just wondered what these were...I've had a few people tell me to replace them regardless of how mine look when I open up my 14ff in the next few days.

-Avery

9. 1977k5

Drum brakes have shoes, disc brakes have pads.

They are pretty cheap and will probably ruin the shoes if they leak. Who knows how old they are and what shape they are in. For $12 a pop I would probably replace them.

10. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Why not just go disks? ALOT easier to maintain and cheaper to.

11. 1977k5

I thought about suggesting that too but he will lose his e-brake unless he wants to spend $$$. Plus if the brakes on it are serviceable the money for the conversion is another added expense.

I had planned on keeping the drums on my 14 bolt for a while but when I found they were trashed there was no question discs were the way to go.

12. Avery4jc

b/c money is running low quickly w/ this project and Thanksgiving break is next week...my only open window where I don't need the truck to get to school and I have a couple days off of work.

My plan is to get the 14ff in first and get the lines hooked up for the brakes...then get the front 10b in and hook up the lines and the steering.
    Then put the new 1 ton MC in to replace my old smaller master cylinder then have a buddy come over and help me bleed the system.
    From there I'm going to get the tires onto the new rims and I'll be ready to go....

So its a full load of stuff to get done in a few days for a rookie...I know its easier while its out but financially and time wise I just don't have the means to do a disc swap right now. The drums will have to do.

Now the only thing left to get is some big blocks to help raise my jack stands since they are too short to pick the truck up by the frame...so I'll get those tomorrow at the lumber yard across from where I work....and get the brake situation worked out, the fronts are fine but one of the rear drums is sticking so I'll figure out whats up w/ that this weekend. I was asking b/c I didn't know if I should order a set for the 14ff so that they can get here in time for the weekend or if I just shouldn't worry about it.

-A

13. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you pick up "Wheel cylinders" for the 14? If you haven't you better. I thought I allready explained that in one of your other posts!

14. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Yes, definetly replace them. I had one go bad in my 12-bolt and found out that the brake fluid will melt the compound that the shoes are made from. :eek1:

It easily turned a 30 minutes job into a 4 hour one just cleaning all that black goo out. :( :doah:

15. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Yeah Avery replace the wheel cylinders (the things you posted). They are really cheap and provide good piece of mind. I would say 99 percent of my brake failures that I have ever had came from a leaky wheel cylinder. Then all the fluid goes bye bye and you have no brakes. I had a 95 f-150, I was going out riding so I was hauling ass down the freeway. Everythings great, going out riding, time to exit, apply brakes, SH*T, NO BRAKES! Scared the crap out of me. Luckily in the very last part of the stroke the fronts applied bringing me to a safe stop, nevermind the poo in my shorts.:blush: To make a long story longer, I ended up breaking my collar bone that day at the track and had to drive home with the truck like that because I couldnt fix it. Wow, what a day, but I ended up getting drunk later so everything worked out in the end. :waytogo:

16. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They are sticking b/c of a crappy wheel cylinder!! Order them or pick up the wheel cylinders for the rear

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha:

18. Avery4jc

I sort of doubt this is from a leaky wheel cylinder...I shouldn't have said "sticky" but stuck...it won't budge, lol.

Ok, so should I order them online or if I go to the parts store do they normally stock these? Oh and there were two things listed on that page from NAPA...a wheel cylinder then a little kit...can I just get the wheel cylinders or do I need that little kit too?

Thanks guys!

-Avery

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Complete cyls if your name is Avery, kitz if jour name ees Manuel Labor.:haha:

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you're going to have it all apart anyways, dont mess with wheel cylinders, just disc it and be done with it. ruffstuff has brackets for $45, add a set of K20 calipers (~$20 each) and a pair of K20 front rotors (~$30 ea) superior braking is good, m'kay.