Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats up everyone

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eric22, Oct 10, 2003.

1. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

this is my first post im just sayin whats up, but of course i also have a question.....

im getting a 1990 blazer, and its missing the transfer case, i would like to know what everone thinks i should put in it??? thanks im pretty much a rookie when it comes to stuf like this

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A nice Big block,turbo 400 tranny and a 205 transfercase.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

transfer case? in a 1990 blazer? methinks it should be a 208..

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Hmmm, sounds like if you haven't found a transfer case for it yet, I know where you can get one about 40 miles east of ya, I just have to yank it out of my truck first............ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Welcome to ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you don't have a case and are starting from scratch, the ultimate in strength for serious wheeling is the gear driven NP205. If you are going to be doing a combo of street and medium trail use, the standard NP208 will work good and should bolt right in, or for a little more beef, you could bolt up a NP241 with a slip yoke elim. kit. Good luck. This is the place for all your K5 needs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Welcome to CK5 dude. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Where in Cali is Lemoore? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

The standard t-case in a '90 is the 241 with the electronic speed control sensor thing. To get the truck operational the fastest and cheapeast with the least amount of hassle, thats what you'll need. A 241 from a '90 or '91 K5. The '89 and ealier models still had mechanical speedo's, so they wouldn't work without alot of trouble. The 241 is the lowest geared of all GM t-cases, which is a plus- I think it's 2.72:1? Someone else will have to confirm that. It's plenty strong for about 90% of the wheelin we do. Yeah a 400/205 combo would be nice, but that is also the highest geared tranny/t-case combo available from GM, and the 400 is a HP thief. I have heard any where in the range of 10-25HP to run it. And not easy or cheap to swap into your new rig.

And before a certain ass hat on this board can open his pie hole- I have run every tranny available in these trucks, except for the 700r4. 350/203, 400/208, and now the 465/203. All in my '76. I broke both the auto's behind the big block, now the 465 holds up fine. So I DO have practical, hands on experience with the subject at hand. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Welcome to CK5. You stationed in Lemoore??

[ QUOTE ]
    Where in Cali is Lemoore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bout an hours north of Bakersfield

8. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help, ya lemoores up here about 30 miles south of fresno...

so ill be alright with a 205, 208, or 241,cool

i really cant wait till it starts comming together, i just got a 2000 z71, but i was in need of somthin a little more "raw"! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif my freind is selling me his blazer for a grand, but no case

is there some sites that have cases, i looked through some of the links here, but didnt find any??

btw great site, it a gold mine of info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-bubba where you at over by visalia?

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well welcome to ck5...a guy i work with just came to our dealership from visalia ford? ever heard of it?...well welcome to ck5 from florida!

10. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

im going with the 241 from transfercases.com, its going to be $595 plus tax and free shipping...btw thats for a rebuilt one, it turns out there is a case in the 90 its just broke so i can save with the core charge...

how does that sound???

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

$595 for a rebuilt NP241 doesnt sound too bad at all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Good Choice. I was going to recomend you stick with the 241. Its a good T case
    It is the best case for your rig. The other ones that were recomended would of required some mods to work right. You need the electric speedo part on the 241 for your VSS (vehicle speed sensor). The computer on your truck needs the input from the VSS to function properly.