Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats up with a CK5 Magazine, im surprised you dont have one

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84silverK5, Dec 13, 2001.

1. 84silverK5

84silverK5 Registered Member

Its prolly been brought up before, but im fairly new to this site, so id thought id ask. you guys have a kickass site and it will get better and better im sure, but a magazine would be sick. you could make some cash too. if you do make a mag id write for you guys, id be like your Northwest corospondent ;) think about it

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yes a mag would be a good idea but you have to line up advertizers and such to cover the cost. Initial start up would probably be the expensive part and I doubt Steve would have enough time to consider it.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If your talking about an "online mag" then that is what Steve is currently leaning towards. See his recent post.

Paper mags are a very marginal business. Not a great deal of money (or rather, not much comming in, often allot going out) in paper rags unless you have a huge distribution and "economy of scale" in publishing.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Currently most of our income is tied up in the plans for our first hotel to open in Las Vegas late next year, in fact Wayne Newton is schedueled to headline our grand opening.
    Baddog is right about the cost and a full-size mag was already tried by Petersons I think, remember "Full-size" magazine that was out for like three isssues, besides online mags are more real-time and interactive. Ask a question here and get an answer within about 5 min, ask a question to a mag and get a reply in 3-6 months or generally not at all, plus every action packed issue of CK5 is delivered to your desk without having to embarrass the neiibors by walking down the street to your mail box in your boxer shorts only to find your mag all ripped up by the mailman.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

5. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I'm a graphic designer and in my buisness I work closely with printers. I have a lot of printing experience since I've done somewhere in the neiborhood of 1600 designs that have been printed. In total I've probably had over 3 million sheets printed with my artwork.

The point to this rambling is that the more you print the cheaper it is per piece. There would have to be a very large volume to support a full size 4 color magazine. Even a small 8 page news letter can cost about $1 per piece based upon 1500 newsletters.It would be pretty expensive once you add in the designers fee of $35-60 per hour x 40 hours. On top of that you have to add in all mailing fees.

An online news letter would be much more cost effective. It could even be downloadable as a PDF file for those that wanted to print and save it. The online cost are minimal and only would require design time along with the website building time.

I think they should start small and go from there. Even redesigning the way some of the tec articles and other info is presented would be a start to an online magazine.

Bottom line is it is up to Steve. He would need some serious cash flow and quit his full time job to oversee a more detailed website.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://homepage.mac.com/toddcripps/Menu2.html>homepage</a>

6. 84silverK5

heh just an idea, didnt know about all that other stuff, if i still had my dsl, i dont think i woulda mentioned anything about a magazine, i hate slow 56k.... heh i guess your right though an online mag is better except for the fact i cant read it when im taking a crap, guess i need another computer ;]]

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i guess your right though an online mag is better except for the fact i cant read it when im taking a crap

<hr></blockquote>
    Get a lap top

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

8. 84silverK5

hehe didnt think about that