Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats up with ac delco filter number change ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Apr 6, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i been wanting to ask about this for a while now

whats up with ac delco's filter number changes ?

now pf35 is pf1218

what is the two quart number now ??

i was wondering what was up with places not having any 25 or 35 filters for a couple or few months now, humm,.

also does anyone know if ac delco is a lone company or if they are owned by anyone and if so then who?
    i heard that ac delco has not been owned by GM for quite a few years now

thanks

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All AC Delco parts are manufactured by other companies. AC Delco is not a manufacturer of parts. All their stuff is re-boxed from some other manufacturer.

It's hard to tell who makes what though. I can tell you it's creative in their disgusing. I think NGK is making many of their spark plugs but others have said that Bosch does. I don't buy the Bosch thing but it's possible I suppose.

AC Delco used to stand for quality, now most of their stuff is total crap if you ask me.

They've helped their business by trying to force their parts houses to carry nearly all of their part numbers or refusing to sell the parts to them. How did the parts houses respond? They pulled down their AC Delco parts, returned their inventory, and have cost them millions of dollars in sales (Carquest is a prime example).

Of all the companies that sell auto parts, AC Delco's quality varies the most by far. As far as I'm concerned, SCREW THEIR CRAP, with the only exception of spark plugs and oil filters.

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I don't know, their batteries have always done me good /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I was told the 1218 has an anti drain-back valve built into it. The box lists applications for like 96-99....Do they mount these filters differently so they need this filter?

I need to look around and see if their is still a PF35L, or if there is a different part no. for that too /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive never seen a 35L in my life, heard of them yes but never seen any place around here that has had one, but then there are only three stores near me other than wal mart so hmm.

put a 1218 on my stepdads 82 k10 goodwrench crate 350 engine, so far so good, its the good sized 1 quart filter like the 35 was

so whats good brand nowadays then other than mobile 1 ?

i know ac delco oil filters are still one of the better ones, the element inside doesnt have so many pleats in it and has better filtering surface area than most of the others cept for mobil 1 and such, the only bad thing really about them is that the valve in them is metal to metal so is a possible leak unfiltered oil into clean oil, mobil 1 has a thicker case and such i know though but you dont really need that

looks like the 1218 and 35L and 454 part numbers are what they still make and have now, but all that can be found here are the 1218's now, i see that parts plus brand makes 1218 identical number and everything i got one for the 76 350 engine i put in the 82 t/a out here, looks identical to an AC Delco 1218 or PF 35

this is all i can find out when searching for ac delco: http://www.bnet.com/abstract.aspx?&scid=1772&docid=73594

http://www.acdelco.com/html/hb_today.htm

thanks

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so whats good brand nowadays then other than mobile 1

[/ QUOTE ]

wix

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wix, Purolator, or Champion Labs (Supertech, STP, Mobil 1)

I use Wix and only Wix since that's what we sell at work.

Wix = Dana/Spicer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I use the mondo-huge STP 2-quart filters (in my fullsizes at least, they won't fit in the Heep /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) Randy, you're the one who sold me on those. It feels good to have an extra quart of oil running through the engine.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I have heard the same thing about the "replaced" filters...anti-drainback valves are the norm on the new part numbers.

Not sure if it's correct, just what I read somewhere, might have been over at thirdgen.org, or even here.

Have to agree with Tim, was less than impressed with a Delco battery cable I bought a year or two ago...made in taiwan right on the box, and noticeably cheap construction compared to the original.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The difference between the PF35 and PF35L is that the 'L' version has a synthetic element and draws smaller particles out of the oil. That is all I used, til they seemed to disappear /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I agree also, other than spark plugs and filters, I avoid all the GM high performance/AC Delco stuff like the plague. Way to much is just rebadged or simply imported /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Would you buy MSD control boxes if I put my name all over it and marked it up 30%???? If you did, the 'Burb would have been finished a LONG time ago.... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, people agreeing with me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Heh! heh! Hey Tim i agree with ya.......
    Espically the Wally World Supertech filters. I have been using them for a long time without any bad issues. Way Way better than Fram( /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif JUNK) at half the price.
    Carquest dumping AC delco(AKA "Made En Mexico") --- Going to WIX /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Love Carquest parts.IMHO Quality! Carquest is 2 blocks from my houes I buy so many parts there they always give me the jobber rate.
    Its pretty cool I get performance parts for about the same price or less as Summit.

13. b55baron

b55baron Registered Member

I was told the only difference between the PF-35 and the PF-1218 is the anti-drain back valve. I have an '03 Sierra with an 8.1L that came with the PF-454, which seems to be similar to the old PF-25. I e-mailed GMC and AC Delco when the truck was new to see if I could run the taller PF-1218. They refered me to the "highly trained parts professional at my local dealership".

I was pleasantly surprised that the guy really knew his stuff. He told me that I could run the taller filter as long as I had the vertical clearance. That was 20,000 miles ago and I haven't had any problems with the PF-1218's.

I've also had pretty good luck with AC Delco batteries.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to like AC delco batteries also.And always recomended them to people. But I have had 2 of their POS batteries fail on me lately.
    Read Thishttp://www.lchb.org/delphi.htm
    I had a post fall off and leak acid all over my wifes Monte Carlo. It did some damage to the paint. So I joined in that lawsuit. Maby i can get a few bucks back to compensate me for the damage it did. And the hassle it was for me to repaint it.
    I think the problem is pretty much limited to side post batteries but both sideposts I had in 2 gm cars failed the same way with the post falling off.
    I have also not been too impressed with the quality of Ac delco parts in the last couple of years. I still like their filters and plugs. But more and more autoparts stores are giving up the AC delco line so its pretty hard to get AC delco stuff. Bout the only AC delco stuff I buy anymore is plugs.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Heh! heh! Hey Tim i agree with ya.......
    Espically the Wally World Supertech filters. I have been using them for a long time without any bad issues. Way Way better than Fram( /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif JUNK) at half the price.
    Carquest dumping AC delco(AKA "Made En Mexico") --- Going to WIX /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Love Carquest parts.IMHO Quality! Carquest is 2 blocks from my houes I buy so many parts there they always give me the jobber rate.
    Its pretty cool I get performance parts for about the same price or less as Summit.

[/ QUOTE ]

wish we had a carquest here /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ive never seen one yet,
    maybe some day hehe

thanks

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I was told the only difference between the PF-35 and the PF-1218 is the anti-drain back valve. I have an '03 Sierra with an 8.1L that came with the PF-454, which seems to be similar to the old PF-25. I e-mailed GMC and AC Delco when the truck was new to see if I could run the taller PF-1218. They refered me to the "highly trained parts professional at my local dealership".

I was pleasantly surprised that the guy really knew his stuff. He told me that I could run the taller filter as long as I had the vertical clearance. That was 20,000 miles ago and I haven't had any problems with the PF-1218's.

[/ QUOTE ]

crazy that they would want to put a little 454 on anything that a 1218(35) would fit fine on, hmm... especially on an 8.1L

hmmm...

good luck