Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats up with everyone

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Muddytazz, May 20, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Ok, since this place seems to be a little dead as of late...whats everyone been up to with their burbs?

I just got done doing up my 14FF...replaced all bearings/races/seals with Timkin stuff, installed a-trons disc bracket brackets (waiting for calipers so i can install the flexhose kit), brand new rotors, shaved the lower lip a bit and painted the thing.

Next on the list is to go thru the 3/4ton D44 i have and redo it, then it stall time for the set.

Also on my list is the rebuild of a sb400 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just finished making the engine cross-member for my Cummins conversion. I still have to make frame brackets for the x-member, but that will occur when test-fitting engine into vehicle. Can't test fit until I modify the core support (distance from firewall to radiator core equals length of Cummins /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif). So, as soon as the core support gets modified the motor is ready for a test fit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Oh yeah, all this is after I install a fake wood floor in the master bedroom (the chief says no new Suburban projects until the floor is done----but I've only been puttin' it off for a year and a half /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif). Have fun with your project there Tazz!

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I dont visit much anymore since mine got stolen. Now I am back to a k5.

Dan

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Oh, here are some pics of what i've done and will be doing, you might have to scroll to see the pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I emptied my truck fund with the purchase of a welder and 8 lug 10 bolt axle, so i have to save up before I can continue with the buildup. It really gets annoying going to work every day and seeing the axles sitting on the bench, all dissasembled just waiting for the lockers. Oh well, maybe next month! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Jeff, you and I have been busy doing the same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I just finished my 14BFF....new bearings, races, seals, Echobit disk brake brackets, A-tron hose kit, new calipers, rotors & pads.

I am now starting to go through the matching D44. Hopefully I'll have everything ready to swap by the end of the summer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hopefully I'll have everything ready to swap by the end of the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm the same way, hoping by the end of summer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i just got my rear 10blt fixed. ew brake shoes, axle shaft, pinion shaft and side gears. ive sorta been workin on my 14bf but havent had much time. what type of calipers are yall useing? i was think about those cadilac ones but heard tey werent all that great.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I just got back from college this last weekend for the summer. Needless to say, I've been working on my truck a lot in the last few days - making up for the time that I've been at school and doing some necessary repairs.

Here's what I've done since Sunday the 18th:
    -Remove plow stuff for the season
    -Remove swaybar (I'm liking it a lot)
    -Visit two junkyards for a total of 5 hours, remove 5 diff covers off of 14 bolts, leave empty handed (was and am looking for 3/4 ton axles with 4.10 gears)
    -Bust my balls removing the original 02 sensor with 160,000 miles on it (honestly one of the best "performance mods" I've made - my truck runs great now)
    -Find out my truck is leaving its mark wherever I park it because the oil-cooler is leaking...go to remove cooler today to see if I could get it fixed and end up twisting off both of the steel parts of the cooler lines. (I've got a universal oil cooler kit on order from Napa for $125 that will be here Thursday afternoon /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

I was looking forward to working on my truck after I got back from school, but I think this is a little out of hand. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My burban is at home rusting away I bet. I havent seen it since febuary and still dont know when I get to see it next /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My burban is at home rusting away I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if yours is anything like mine, then yup, that's what it's doing. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My 88 is DD tow rig. Been catching up on a lot of maintaince items. Going to build it as a feature truck pull rig. plan to do some upgrades and get so real data for the site. Working on a Gear vendors overdrive for it. trying to get it up to 14mpg hwy to ease the pain on the wallet that thirsty 454 is giving me.

Here is the list of what's been done.
    Shocks
    Heater return hose
    O2sensor
    EGR (chasing a serge I think it's gone if not it's the EGR controller).
    Plugs
    Wires
    Cap and button
    Installed oil temps sender
    Oil change with 10w30 Mobil 1 and A/C filter
    19,000lb tranny cooler (can you believe a 454 burb with TH400 didn't come with one?)
    Upper radiator hose
    fan clutch
    update trailer plug to new standard to match Airstream
    Replaced dry rotted speakers
    Installed K&N
    Modified aircleaner to run only cool air for the summer.

What is on my list to do in the next few weeks
    Service transmission
    Install transmission temp sender
    Install Engine and tranny temp gage
    Install Sony CD player
    Install Nokia car kit
    Install and wire Fosgate amp and Bazooka tubes.
    Install GPS antenna. Going to try a mag mount for now but may go to a perment and antenna on the roof. Mag mt should be in today or tomorrow.
    Install AUX light including Hella 550 fogs and possibly a set of Hella Ralley 1,000's I have collecting dust.
    Trying to decide if I will convert back to 2 head light arangement so I can run My Hella Ralley headlights.
    Pull cat after a dyno run to see how much power it was robing. Need to get with the local dyno place Friday and see if he want's to help me out with this without killing me on price.
    Install straight pipe to replace void left by cat
    Dyno run To see gain
    Install high flow converter
    Dyno run
    Evaluate muffler and possibly replace with 70 series flowmaster
    Dyno run
    TBI tweeks including coolant bypass, Turbocity spacer and other add on's.
    Dyno run
    Figure out how to mount laptop that wil be tied into both the ECM of the truck for monitoring and GPS driven Navigation software, currently looking for used laptop with win98SE and DVD player (to keep the rug rats entertained while on the road and need to figure out how to tie it into the sound system.
    Tint windows
    Remove those god awful looking aluminum running boards
    get some decent looking rims, them pizza pan hub caps got to go.
    Install 89 overhead that I just bought so I can get some decent lighting going.
    Possibly build custom center consol to house all the electronic and make it lock plus get the rug rats some drink holders.

Write and document build up.

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Nice, can't wait for my next BIG read...you've always got good info to read /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I was gonna install some 315/75R16 Goodyear MTR's on my Sub. At least until bigoltrux77 flaked out on the deal. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

mine is sitting up on stands in my backyard in vegas right now.

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, since this place seems to be a little dead as of late...whats everyone been up to with their burbs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'll probably be the bastard-child of this group....but mine will be staying mostly "stock" and may even get lowered slightly (remember it's 2WD)

I have 5 or 6 sheets of polymeric mastic that I'm planning to lay down on the floors and door panels to quiet things down. I also want to locate a source for all the original tailgate rubber bumpers and seals to cure a rattle back there. I am also seriously considering a complete carpet kit from ACC to add a little "luxury" to the original but spartan interior......they sell the original style 80/20 loop carpet so I can still make the arguement that it will remain "period correct".... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I continue to dream about those 18" Rallye Wheels and a set of lower profile tires (BLING!) but I have still been unable to pick the correct 6 numbers on a lottery ticket. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I'll probably be the bastard-child of this group

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Every group needs one /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    nothing wrong with a 2wd...before i got the 75 4wd i have now, i had a 75 2wd w/454, 4spd, 14FF w/4.56's, lowered it 4"...it looked really sweet.

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Coolant bypass????

same thing for small block????

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Started with a TOTALLY stock 91 V2500..........well, stock 'cept for the cool running boards /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Anyway, running boards went day two of ownership.

Then the Viper alarm went in, then stereo, CB, and map light. KC lights on the front bumper, wired through a floor dimmer switch as the actuator (works slick), then the lift (6" Tuff Country with RS9000X shocks, ORD extended shackles, extended brake lines, ORD swaybar correction/disconnect kit) and tires (35" Xterrains on 16x10 aluminum rims). Put a new radiator in it, K&N air filter and basically a full rebuild on the front end - 4 all new ball joints, axle u-joints, seals, bearings, Warn premium hubs (whoever decided that auto hubs were a good thing????) and last week full on new brake setup for the front, including calipers, rotors, pads and power flush. Stops nice now.........

Not much else I need to do - tune it up, replace the original cat (160K miles on the original /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif), and install the Rock Rod that Shane74 (local bud here in the PNW) made and I'm ready for camping/hunting pulling the tent trailer.

For those of you old timers, I sold my 79 K5 with full on one ton gear, locked front and rear, with a 406 TPI motor...........and don't miss it at all.

Love my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

20. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Well....

Thanx to uncle nick aka Moseseburb...r/r thm400 with sweet thm475...rebuild np241c...new ujoints rear shaft...cap..rotor..plugs...o2..tstat..rad cap...belt...inspect front end...ouch...oreder replacement drac...speedo still dead...replace oil psi sender with correct 3 pin sensor...repair tank sender...new fuel pump..strainer..used non leaking tank...shocks all the way around...remove all door panels and put a socket on all window regulator bolts...lube the wee out of everything...repaired the rear a/c motor...a/c needs new clutch...dead open..will address this weekend...

DW