Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's with folks at race tracks?!?!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Maybe it's not just at NASCAR races, but that's the only sport my dad watches where I hear the National Anthem before the start.....

I can't believe how many people there are shouting and cheering during the thing :confused: did they NOT learn how to behave when that song is playing? I learned in frickin FIRST GRADE that you don't talk, shout, cheer, or otherwise make unnecessary noise during the Star Spangled Banner... What country did these people at the races grow up in where it's appropriate to act like idiots when their country's theme song is playing? :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Guess it depends where you live really. Up here in washington, i hear people cheering during the natinal anthem at hockey games big time. Back in Texas people would cheer during football games. Most people were quiet though until "land of the free" was sung.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

any sporting event I've EVER been to plays the national anthem. Even monster truck shows.

4. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah, but his point was that people cheer during the national anthem

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

People are idiots

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yes, even more so when there drunk, like at sporting events.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Can't say I've ever heard people yell at the national anthem. Thats just stupid, as RJ points out so eloquently :D

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think most of the people are cheering at the idea of the National Anthem being performed, or at NASCAR events...cheering the person singing the anthem (when they are some popular celebrity). I have been into NASCAR racing so long that I can remember (before NASCAR was mainstream) when the person singing the National Anthem was usually some High School girl, who won the glee club state championship or something, and the person doing the traditional "Gentleman start your engines" announcement was a mayor from some small po-dunck town down the road. Back in those days a big celebrity singing the National Anthem would have been Minnie Pearl from the Grand ol' Opry. :D