Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's with the stupid lately?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 16, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

What\'s with the stupid lately?

I'm sitting on the phone with a company that I normally deal with for parts replacement on an almost weekly basis, and they used to be really good. Short hold times, quick calls, no hassles. All of a sudden, I start calling in 2002, and I'm getting 17minute hold times, they're fighting me tool and nail on replacing the parts I find bad, the tech on the phone automatically treats me like I'm a moron that has no idea what I'm doing (yeah, after I called in on the professional line).

I had 3 calls this week with them, and so far I have had 1 successful replacement order placed. It used to be that I placed a warranty replacement order with every call (mostly because I know what I'm doing and I don't call unless a warranteed part is bad).

What's going on?? Is the economy so bad these guys are doing anything they can to get out of honoring the warranty?? I swear I went through every test and this thing failed each test on 2 seperate calls, and these guys are still saying they're not sure what the problem could be. I will have to call again tomorrow when the machine fails yet again. I think tomorrow I'm using some clout and getting loud, though... This is stupid.

It really feels like the company has cut intelligent staff and implemented new policies for 2002 to be more stringent on warranty work. They're hurting thier customers now!!

Oh well. The way of a titanic economy...

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.

2. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s with the stupid lately?

*See sig. below for empathy.[​IMG]

<font color=purple>Michelle~</font color=purple>

Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Stupid employees cost less - but not in the long run. Some employers don't understand that it takes a little more money, benefits, etc. to keep quality employees and the stoopid ones witll actually drive AWAY business.

behemoth K5
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Hey, what about having smart employees and dumb bosses? I think that is the situation at my work at least.....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</a>

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Smart employee's, dumb bosses... isn't that sorta how it works everywhere? :-P

on a serious note tho, the VP of my company used to do what I do now: troubleshoot, and repair the computers, and be net admin.. since then, he took a bunch of engineering courses, got a degree in that, and has forgotten almost entirely everything about computers... I dread working on his computer, or laptop, because he always gets upset that I remove conflicting applications from his computer... claims he needs every single last one, since he used each one once, and might need to use it again sometime. he also asks that I take the confusion out of switching certain settings, ( this is a mac for screaming like a burned monkey) so, I write big complex scripts that work for the first week, but no more because he goes in and alters the settings manualy, and throws the scripts off.. oh well, at least he's a good engineer.

for the hold times thing, I've heard its because of Windows XP... I've been trying to get through to Brother about a broken fax machine for the last 2 weeks, with nothing but `we're sorry, we are unable to take your call now due to an extreme high call volume. hang up and try another time' thier website says `email corespondance may take as long as 5 business days, due to the release of windows XP. we reccomend this over calling, as hold times have expanded'

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

6. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

The only "vendor" I actually deal with on warranty replacement parts is Dell. I always get the same run around.
    1. Have you run the diagnostics?
    2. Have you run the Hard Drive confidence test?
    3. Have you upgraded the system recently?
    4. Have you experienced this problem before?

So what I do now is, run there little diagnostics app, run the Hard Drive Incompetence test, call them and say the Drive is bad and I need a new one. They go into "The drive is not bad it is you" routine and I say "Listen, Im really busy and I dont have time to sit here on the phone with you. Here is the service code, Im with xyz company and I need this part replacesd as soon as possible."

They usually put me on hold for a minute then come back online to get my address. Which ticks me off to because I have only called them a hundred times in the last month.

******Vent*********Vent*************Vent****************

"If it aint broke don't fix it" is like a 4 letter word.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>

Charlie

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Blaze, lol!!

Rich, that makes sense about XP. Half the stuff I write and send home with users doesn't work because they have a brand new machine running XP, and I write scripts that work differently for win9x/NT/2000, but nothing for XP!!

I didn't mean this to be a rant post (rereading it seems that's kind of what it is), I was just wondering what the frig was up with the dopiness everywhere lately. I forgot to add in on my original post that my trains have been really screwy lately too. Then there's drivers... It just seems like poeple have taken a general turn toward stupid lately. Maybe I'm just seeing things better now that I cut my hair? Full moon out?

Anybody else getting terrible internet speeds, too? It seems like internet service everywhere is bogging like crazy for me (at home on cable and at work on T3; maybe just something in the northeast?).

Ratch
    CK5 album

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Anybody else getting terrible internet speeds, too? It seems like internet service everywhere is bogging like crazy for me (at home on cable and at work on T3; maybe just something in the northeast?).

<hr></blockquote>

Yes...Pacific Northwest though. Pissing me off![​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

same here damn slow compared to what it used to be[​IMG]

wheeling pics

10. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I don't know why your service changed, but I can speak from the perspective of being on the other end.

In a former life, I was a Server Support Phone Technican. You have to understand where these techs are coming from. They don't know you from the last guy they talked to, or the next guy they will get. Most of the calls that came into my support line were people telling me that they need a part replaced. About 85-90% of those calls were fixed over the phone by me persuading the caller into troubleshooting with me. So when you call in, you should expect to get questioned because that's how they fix problems.

Most companies that offer telephone support also offer a no-touch contract. This means that you can just call in, or sometimes just go to the net, and order parts with no questions asked. Of course it is a more expensive contract, but will it really cost you more? After all, time=money, right?

I'm not saying that your complaint isn't justified, but try and think about what the people on the other end are dealing with.
    I once had a guy try and convince me that he needed new hard drives for his server because he wasn't hitting the "F6" key during an NT 4.0 install. It took me over 30mins to convince the guy to troubleshoot with me. If I had just sent him out hard drives because he said they were bad, I would have costed my company a lot of money, and he would have still had the same problem.

I know you also said that you ran all the diagnostics they asked you to, and they failed; based on that, there is no reason why they shouldn't replace the part. Unless there is a known issue they are not telling you about??

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

11. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Well I just go from expreience. Im currently working on my Dell DCSE so I can be "Certified" and not have to go through tech support. At my work I dont have the time to sit on the phone and wait. But I have to anyway.

Plus I recently learned that they are supposed to pay 50.00 for warranty parts replaced in house when they dont have to send out an on-site technician. That came from my corporate HQ.

Maybe being certified Dell will swing a little extra business my way....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>

Charlie

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Stoopalini, I figure they have to deal with a lot of user error or software error, so I'm usually fine with going through the routine (I don't always assume I'm right immediately). And of course, when I can't determine what's wrong (when it's hardware), I go through the troubleshooting according to the support guys anyway. In this particular case, I had already gone through the motions with another support engineer, and it was all recorded in thier notes, yet this guy wanted to go through the same thing again. In an identical situation on an identical machine, replacing the motherboard solved the issue. But that was in a stronger economy, and I didn't get this much resistance about swapping the part. It just seems like they're following a "Do anything possible to avoid sending new parts" policy, and it's costing me and my user down time.

I did have a good call yesterday, though, on a different issue (or I got a better phone guy)! In a call yesterday about a flat panel, I told the engineer I ran through some tests (and told him which ones) and still had spots on the sreen, and he said, "ok, I'll send one out today". No goofing around for 30 minutes having me re-run all the tests. Time is money! It's bad enough I couldn't walk away from desk because I was on hold for 25 minutes (cell is way too expensive with those hold-times), don't make me sit there for another 30 minutes doing something I already did!! I guess I might have gotten a pair of butthead engineers too.

Chaz, BTW, it is Dell, and I didn't see your earlier post, but that's usually exactly how all my calls go, except I sit through the routine...

Ratch
    CK5 album

13. Stoopalini

Yea, that's kind of where I am coming from: All the user and software errors that people percieve to be hardware. It's tough to guage the technical ability/level of a customer calling into a support queue. Some of the callers really know their stuff, but lie to the tech's anyway to try and get their way. I'm not saying you do this, I'm just saying it's hard for the tech's to tell the honest informed callers, from the not so honest ones.

But there is also another aspect that often gets misunderstood. If a replacement motherboard fixed a similar issue on another box, maybe the problem was actually a BIOS, ESM, perpheral, compatability problem? The replacement motherobard would go out with the latest firmware revisions, and maybe that is what fixed it? If that's the case, and someone has figured it out, they may want to try some things before replacing the motherboard; even though it fixed a similar problem on another machine. They won't tell you this information though, because then it's as if the company released a system with "known" issues ..... I'm sure you already know this stuff, I'm just offering some insight to those that may not realize the full picture.

In your particular case, I have no idea why they wouldn't send a replacement out if you ran the diags and they failed? Ahh well, maybe the engineer you got was a brand new guy or something? Most phone technicians get evaluated on different metrics; one of them being how many parts you sent out. This too will sometimes cause cases like this to arise.

Good luck with your troubles, I hope you get them resolved soon. And of all the companies out there, Dell doesn't rank too far down on the list of Helpfull Support [​IMG]

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

But there is also another aspect that often gets misunderstood. If a replacement motherboard fixed a similar issue on another box, maybe the problem was actually a BIOS, ESM, perpheral, compatability problem? The replacement motherobard would go out with the latest firmware revisions, and maybe that is what fixed it? If that's the case, and someone has figured it out, they may want to try some things before replacing the motherboard; even though it fixed a similar problem on another machine. They won't tell you this information though, because then it's as if the company released a system with "known" issues .....

<hr></blockquote> Actually, I hadn't really considered that. We did flash it to the current revision, but the support guy hung up on me (I assuming by accident!!) while I was flashing it. I didn't call support back 'cause I figured I'd put the box back in service and see if maybe the flash would solve the issue, but it didn't. The next day, she had issues again, at which point I called back and went through the same thing.

I'm going to try a few things more on it with the above quote in mind, (can't remember now if I ever did a hardware reset on the BIOS)...

But the hold times still suck! Sorry.. need to feel right about something!!

Ratch
    CK5 album

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

BTW, since I've mentioned Dell, in all fairness, I should also add that they've been great to work with in the past, and I do consider thier support to be the best I've used.

Some of the callers really know their stuff, but lie to the tech's anyway to try and get their way.

<hr></blockquote> Not doubting or challenging you, but why would they get thier way more if they played dumb? Maybe something to consider, lol! I try to be up front and tell the guy everything I've done and what I think so they can get a little bit of an idea of my skill level. lol, maybe that's why most of them still go though the process with me!

Ratch
    CK5 album

16. Stoopalini

Yea, I've dealt with Dell a bunch, and they have a good track record. Of course, there are always those few bad experiences that slip though........

Well, they don't really play dumb, more like try to manipulate the technician into doing something they feel will fix the problem. This usually involves giving info that's not true, or holding info back that the tech should know.

A very simple example: if someone felt they had a bad motherboard, and just wanted it replaced, but the tech knows that there is an updated BIOS that will fix the problem; the caller could tell the tech that he has already installed the latest BIOS, even though he hasn't.

Usually, the manipulation is a lot more involved than that, but you get the idea.

You are doing exactly what you should be doing. Telling the tech everything you've done is perfect.
    It always helps to tell them this stuff before they start giving instructions too. A lot of callers will tell you they've done things they haven't.
    I couldn't count how many times have I asked a caller if he tried 'X' and the answer is 'Yes' .... so I say how about 'Y' and he says 'Yes' .... so I say 'how about reseating the NIC' and he says 'Yes' even though it's an integrated NIC!

So telling the tech what you've done before he asks really helps to establish your credibility during the 30 or so min. phone call.

Hope this helps you out even in the slightest ......

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --

17. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Well I will admit that Dell is a lot better than say Compaq. When I was working(dont laugh) as a tech at CompUSA we would call on speaker phone and see how long of a wait we would have, even with the "Profesionals" line. And if you have a CompPC get a drink and a snack before calling CompUSAs tech support line.

Dell is okay, I know to run all the related diags before I call, but when youre in a hurry and you know the issue the last thing you wanna do is play "floppy swap" to appease the phone tech. Thats why I perform the diags before I even call.

Im glad to be dealing strictly with Dell though.

Charlie

18. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

... that's it Ratch - you cut you hair. Everything IS different now!! LOL !! (been there!)

behemoth K5
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"