Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats wrong with hydro assist steering in a DD?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Jan 4, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i was planning on it untill zcar said its "twitchy" on streets? anyone have it and can you give me the charistics of street/freeway driving with it?

2. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Re: whats wrong with hydro steer in a DD?

Are you talking full hydro or hydro assist?

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm assuming your talking about full hydro... Willyswanter will be able to tell you in a few days probably. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif You should go search "hydro" on pirate and theres a buttload of information.
    If you talking hydro assist, i've got the WTO 1.5" ram and it is Great for my daily driver. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i'm assuming hydro assist, i'd be wanting the ORD crossover kit and "ORD is now stocking the WTO steering boxes, pumps and Redneck Ram hydraulic assist systems. " so i'd do the whole crossover and hydro assist in one

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

mine was twitchy until i got all the air worked out of it. now its smooth as glass.

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

There is a write up on the POR board about installing a full hydro setup. The guy that did the right up says that it was a smooth ride on the pavement and that it was alot better then he expected.

7. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I ran mine with hydro assist for over a year as a dailey driver. I loved it.

I now have a full hydro and it is not street freindly at all. I am in the process of changing to a different orbitalk valve to try and solve the issue.

8. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

There's nothing wrong with it, coming from me and the man himself, Matt at WTO. I've even driven for about 2hrs on the freeway and not a single problem.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i dont think GM would have put hydro on vehicles if was not good for DD's

there are billions of cars and trucks from factory with hydro they run fine when in good shape

good luck

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ran it for a long time, daily driver, freeway, all the way to Moab and back, etc. No problems at all.

Ryan mentioned I was going full hydro, I'm not, I'm keeping assist, but I'm running a 2.25" double ended ram.

[​IMG]

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks everyone! it looks like i'll be going hydro assist then. any little snags or qwirks while installing that i need to be aware of?

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i was planning on it untill zcar said its "twitchy" on streets? anyone have it and can you give me the charistics of street/freeway driving with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

SAVAGE1 has that setup. I saw it when I went to meet his friend for some lift springs I was buying. I am pretty sure he uses his as a DD and he's in the Bay Area, a true test of driving through an obstacle course... I plan to run the same, maybe even with hi steer since I got the parts, but we'll see if that will be too overkill when I get there...

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just noticed the steering was tighter...and turned quicker.. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I didn't TURF more than one YARD..ask EDdaTREE.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif