Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats wrong with it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Dec 6, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I had thought my fuel pump was going out. A few days ago, something happened and my truck stalled every few seconds. The fuel pressure was a little below specs, but just a little, nothing serious yet. Anyway, I found out the ignition module went out. It also went out back in July and I got a new module, coil and pickup. It sounds like something in the distributor is frying the module. Does anyone know what it could be?

90K5

2. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

I believe it is a good idea to use a heat transfer type of gell or grease under the distributer module to help conduct the heat away. The module generates it's own heat and has to get rid of it, or the life will be shortened. Did you use that stuff?

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

No, where do you get it?

90K5

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I just replaced the ignition module in my Blazer and the gel came with it. You should be able to pick some up at any parts store.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Just ask for dialectic grease, the grease serves as a heat sink. New moduale should have come with it.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it should have came with it but if i didnt just go to the parts store and tell them it didnt come with any and they should just give you some

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

7. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Heat sink paste(White paste that won't wash out of anything and a little smears forever) and Dieletric grease (Same color) do two totally different things. Heat sink pastes conducts and transfers heat, where as dieletric grease acts as an insulator to prevent arc over. It will harden when exposed to heat. If heat is your problem, get heat sink paste and wear latex gloves when putting it on or two months from now you'll be saying "Damn, where did all this white paste come from". Okay, that's my .05 and over 20 somethings years in electronics worth.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well I found out something is burning out the modules, and something is wrong with the windings in the distributor. I hope this is the only problem...

90K5