Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's wrong with my buddy's tranny??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Dec 17, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

What\'s wrong with my buddy\'s tranny??

Here's the message I got from him:

[ QUOTE ]
    My M1028 has a TH400 3sp auto and when you put it in drive or reverse, It makes a clunking and low growling sound. Doesnt really sound like it is grinding anything, but since hearing the noise I havent driven it either. What kind of rebuild am I looking at?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then, he said this:

[ QUOTE ]
    I havent driven it since I heard the noise. But I did drive it the morning I heard it. Took kids to school, went home, got ready for work and when I went out to leave I started it and everything seemed ok. But when I put it in reverse to back out, it did go into gear fine except it was making a low/deep growling noise. Had bro in law sit in truck with foot on brake and shift between gears and the noise seems to be coming from the front/bellhousing area. Fluid is clear red and full and smells normal. Thought maybe the torque converter was loose but I pulled the dust cover and it is tight. It has never slipped but I have noticed that in the past 2-3 months that it does take off a bit sluggish/slower than normal. Is that an indication of the front pump going out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have any of you guys experienced sounds like that? If so, what was the problem? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s wrong with my buddy\'s tranny??

Kinda sounds like the front pump. Growling IMO indicates that. Others may have some other ideas.

John

3. steelsoldiers

Is that a do-it-yourself for the average shade tree mechanic? Can you buy a front pump at a parts house or is that a specialty item? I have never had to do a thing to my TH400 [knocking on wood] so I am clueless /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it's making noise, IMO the thing needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Anything that wears could potentially send contaminants into the rest of the trany, which could lead to anything from converter failure to leaking seals.

TH400's don't cost much to rebuild, and shouldn't cost much to have rebuilt if the owner pulls it.

I would equate replacing a single part on a used tranny to putting new main bearings in a motor with 200,000 miles. You already have to do a fair amount of work to replace the bearings, and the other components are all worn by then anyways, it makes more sense to know it's ALL good internally (rebuild the whole thing) than to fix one piece and wait for another to fail.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes it is the pump. don't just put a new one in rebuild the whole thing. if you or him pull it out a tranny shop should be able to rebuild it for $400-600 would be my guess on what it would cost

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    It has never slipped but I have noticed that in the past 2-3 months that it does take off a bit sluggish/slower than normal. Is that an indication of the front pump going out?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the only complaint is noise, that makes it tough to diagnose the problem without taking the tranny out and tearing it down to inspect what the problem could be.
    Something that is common between Reverse and Drive is the Direct clutches are on ONLY in reverse and drive... I'd suggest pulling it down into 1st and maybe 2nd and see if the noise is still there, since the direct clutches will be off once you manually shift it into the 1 or 2 position.
    Also, when sitting at a stop light in drive- does it seem to creep foreward still?
    When i took my foot off the brake at a stoplight and my car just sat still, and didnt want to creep forewards like it did before i knew i had a pressure leak somewhere!

Before condemning the tranny as the cause for the noise i would eleminate the water pump, air conditioner, alternator, and power steering as the cause by removing the belt and starting up the engine for a few seconds.
    ...OR unbolt the torque conveter from the flywheel and push it back, and if the noise goes away when the converter is unbolted then you know it's in the transmission.
    Some possible causes for transmission noise could be: Plugged or restricted filter, wrong filter, intake pipe o ring split or damaged, or pump to case gasket off location.
    Usually if the problem is in reverse mostly it will be the reverse boost valve, in the oil pump.. there will be excessive clearance between the boost valve and the bore so it doesn't actuate properly anymore and slips when going into reverse...
    Another possible cause for noise would be planetary gears or thrust bearings damaged. This would need an entire rebuild and possibly replace some internal parts.

Another thing i just thought of is you mentioned it had poor accleration now, seems to be slipping when you take off? That could be a problem with the stator in the torque convertor or the stator support on the oil pump- the splines could be stripped over time and now the stator will just spin and never lock like it should when the torque convertor goes from vortex mode to rotary.

Good luck.

7. steelsoldiers

Wow, thanks for all the great replies ya'll. I'll give him the address to this post. That should really help him out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. steelsoldiers

9. steelsoldiers

Hey guys,
    My buddy has decided to have his transmission rebuilt. He can get transmission rebuild parts at a real good price at a place in his town. What all should he buy before taking it to a shop to have the work done? Here's what I'm thinking:
    <ul type="square"> [*]clutch kit [*]front pump [*]seal kit [*]valve body rebuild kit [/list]
    Anything else?

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd buy a complete rebuild kit. It will come with the clutches, steels and the various seals and gaskets.

Get something like a trans-go shift kit. Don't worry about the valve body rebuild kit, just go with a shift kit. A competent rebuilder will see any wear etc., on the valvebody components.

Front pump is the same way. If it's NOT the problem (and it will be obvious when disassembled) re-use it. It's not a normally replaced part, but obviously if it's bad, it needs to be.

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

also unless the pumped body is cracked or wore you can replace all of the part inside it

12. steelsoldiers

Cool, that's what I needed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks.