Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats wrong with my K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Apr 2, 2007.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

Hey so my 89 k5 will drive but if i try to brake and take off i hear some clunking and what not last time i drove it i heard the same kinda ticking that happens before you blow the rear drive shaft. Now its got 35" on 10bolts with a aulburn posi in the rear with stock gearing. could this be my yoke at the trnsfer case being bad (noticed its missing the center plug) or its my 10bolt? if its the 10 bolt no worries cause i have a 14ff waiting to go in along with a 3/4 ton front 10bolt both with 4.10 gears. So now nother question is wht should i be doing to find the problem any tips? also just wondering if driving in 4x4 and hubs locked and no rear shaft would be okay (front wheel drive) for the next few days around in the city? or is it not advised? thanks brothers

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You won't hurt anything running FWD, just remember that you'll have more trouble steering, and that the front driveshaft normally isn't balanced all that well...

Are you sure the noise is coming from the rear end? Could be just a bad u-joint, engine mount or tranny mount...

3. George_Pimpdaddy

sure hope so i havent really had alot of time to crawl under it cause im pretty busy but im hoping im on cheap drugs and its a u joint myself too. so its okay to grab beer with the rear shaft outt and in 4x4 (fwd) thanks man for the quick reply

4. George_Pimpdaddy

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Dollars to donuts it's a rear u-joint. Remember, a u-joint can pass a visual inspection and still be on the way out. Are yours greaseable?

6. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hmmm I'll be interested to hear what it is...I had a clicking noise start (instantly...with no warning) about two weeks ago and I haven't been able to figure out what it was...
    I'm getting a brand new d-shaft instlled with my transmission so when I get it back tomorrow night I'll see if the noise is gone...

7. Can Can

For the record, one sign of a u-joint on the way out is a sound similar to "marbles dropping on glass" coming from underneath the truck.....:deal:

8. Avery4jc

*gasp* where were you when I was asking about this earlier? lol

shesh paul. :)

Thats exactly what it sounds like.

9. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

umm. im pretty sure youve got a slip yoke o the rear. so if you pull the rear shaft it will spit fluid. soo youve gotta cover that up. cut a bottle and duct tape it around the snout of the tailshaft:D (hick quick fix):haha:

10. Avery4jc

the fill plug on my 208 is pretty close to the same level so I wouldn't worry about it...just let it drain down a little bit and re-fill it when you are done.
    iono about you but duct tape and a cut up bottle doesn't sound like its going to stop the leak much...sounds like it'll just make a mess when you take it off to put the d-shaft back in :)

11. George_Pimpdaddy

so i pulled the rear shaft and even with the truck in neutral and tcase in neutral it was a bitch to move the truck to rotate the shaft for the other side bolts. Anyways i noticed that my driver side rear by the brakes is wet with oil not to sure what but its not lookin good for my 10bolt can i still drive it to the part store in fwd? granted my rear brake might be weak if thats brake fluid or is that axle oil?

12. Can Can

You have a blown axle seal, which has swelled the brake shoes causing them to grab. Chances are they'll need to be replaced. I would also check the rear diff fluid level pronto as you may have lost quite a bit of fluid- when's the last time you checked your diff levels and fluid condition?

13. Avery4jc

paul you don't think its a wheel cylinder? when they go out do the springs pull the pads back in away from the drums?

14. George_Pimpdaddy

k so tomorrow its gonna warm up a bit so ill check the rear diff level since i filled it up a month ago was only a quarter quart low so ill check that and pull off the suspected wheel and check the drum and pads. I had the other axle seal replaced like 3 years ago i remember too the passenger side. so hopefully i can pull it around out back with fwd without the rear locking up.