Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats wrong with my shackle flip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz88K5, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ok well i just finished instaling the ORD shackle flip on my 88 yesterday....and i must say it was a bitch!...well anyway to the problem at hand...is it normal for the rear axle to move 1 inch forward with the schacke flip.....since that happened i am having probs with my drive shaft...it has a slip yoke and its about1/2 inch from bottoming out...i think if i tried jumpin off a curb it would bottom out and cause some type of damage...so am i goih to have to shorten my shaft?...or is there something else i can do?

Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!

2. FWP

FWP CRS

That's what happened to me when I put the Flip on my SWB. Had to get a new driveshaft anyway, the original was damaged. I guess you could put on 2" springs- but that may be impracticle for you.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com>http://fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com</A>

3. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

My wife got me the shackle flip for my birthday and I was going to put it on next weekend. Is it a weekend job or should I schedule more time. Any pointers to make it easier. Had not heard about the drive shaft problem, I will keep watching the post to see what everyone says.

Rich

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well i started on mine friday night at about 5 and i quit for the night at 10...then started off again at 7:30 and finished about 2.......droping that gas tank was the biggest pain...if it wasent for that it would be easy...;one problem i had was i had to cut a hole in the flip kit so i could bolt up my hitch...that also caused a problem when the bold goes in for the hitch...it lined up with another bold that was on the side of the frame wo when i put the other bolt in for the hitch they hit so what i had to do is cut pcs of 1/4 inch steel and tap some threads in it and tack welded to the frame ...i am having a hard time explaning it...i wish i would have taken pictures.
    well looks like i am off to the drive line shop tommorow...i need a new yoke any way...the cap poped off last time i jumped it.

5. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

it did'nt really move the axle forward an inch, it just seems like it because it tilted the pinion up towards the t-case too much (unless using a cv shaft) you need to reverse shim it till' the angles are the same at the top and the bottom. this will also pull your slip back out 1/2 to 3/4 in. j.c.

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i did reverse shim it too...2 1/2 deg + 1/8th flat shim....it helped but not enough...before i did that it would bottomed out...so as it sits now i have a little less than 1/2 inch from the end of the tail shaft on the tranny/xfer case to the flang on the yoke...prior to that i had about 1 1/8 to 1 1/2

7. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

This won't help you any, but I also have a 88, with a 14 bolt in the rear, wich I believe is longer than a 12, or a 10 bolt. I didn't have any problems with it. Your best bet is to post your question on the ORD board, and let Stephen awnser it for you. Jon