Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's wrong with my steering?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Dec 11, 2001.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

What\'s wrong with my steering?

Alright this past weekend I was wheeling my Blazer. I came over a hump way faster than I wanted to, got a few feet of air, and landed on my front left tire with it slightly turned. Since then, my tires will turn VERY far to the left, but not nearly as much to the right. Did I misalign the gears in the steering box or something? The steering linkage parts are all still fine... (eg. the Pitman Arm, drag link, steering arm) Does anyone know how to get my steering back to normal?

Thanks
    Chris

2. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s wrong with my steering?

From the symptom I would have guessed bent drag link adjusting sleeve and you shouldn't have twisted the pitman arm on the steering box shaft - when you landed, did the steering wheel spin a lot?

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I know it may sound odd, but here is one thing to check... Make sure your u-bolts holding your driver's side spring to the axle are tight. I had mine loosen up on me once and I had the same kind of steering you are describing. Turns out that as I would turn right and the steering arm would go toward the rear of the truck, it was moving the axle backwards on the spring some. This was enough movement to significantly hamper my right turns.

Another thing to try is to get under it with someone else cranking back and forth on the wheel. See if everything looks like it is getting full movement. If it still looks okay, put it on jackstands (to remove the influence of weight and stationary steering) and do the same thing.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

4. K5thatShmobs

The adjusting sleeve is fine... everything externally looks fine. Im thinking the problem lies within the steering box.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

The pitman arm and the sector shaft on the steering arm ar both keyed, so that would be obvious if that was the problem. Maybe your drag link adjusting sleeve slid on your drag link ends. Seems kindaout there but Ive seen some weird stuff! Sounds like a symptom. When I changed my steering box I had to completely rearrange my draglink.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

6. K5thatShmobs

Hey what does everyone think about loosening the allen on the top of the steering box to try and rearrange how the gears are lining up?

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

No, I think that just cleans up the slop in the steering box. Have you checked the tie rod ends? I'm thinking the threads on the tie rod or drag link ends slipped the threads on the adjusting sleeve.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

CHECK THE SPRINGS!. you may have sheared the centering pin and the axles has moved back. Also check the frame at the steering box. you may have cracked the frame. Get under the truck and watch the box as somebody turns the wheel. see if the box is pulling away from the frame.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Brian and Grim have both given you some good advice...I suggest you follow up on it. I'd also guess a sheared center pin.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

10. txoneway

txoneway Registered Member

i played so hard in my big ugly truck that i sheared the pin AND loosened the ubolts an the steering did the same thing. definitely an interesting drive back to the house. i would agree that the spring pin sheared or the ubolts loosened up

hell yeah, im drunk! what do ya think, im a stunt driver??

11. K5thatShmobs

Hey thanks a lot all... Ill check it out and follow up.

Thanks
    Chris