Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats wrong with this header for a V-8?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigburban383, Dec 31, 2003.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Looks like an extended version of a manifold (middle cylinders share tube). I would much rather have tubes for each cylinder because the shared ones may have velocity problems. Heres a pic of normal ones.

[​IMG]

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The top pic is for a pontiac engine, it uses siamesed center exhaust ports.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Bolt pattern is incorrect for the Olds. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Many Co's make headers like that for Pontiacs. Pontiacs can be a real bitch with header installs and keeping the bolts tight.

With my 4 tube headers, there was one bolt on each side that you had to start into the head then slip the header over that. A real SOB to try and tighten up....

5. bigburban383

According to summit racing online that is for a Chevy Pickup Truck. The pictures for the pontiac headers are 4 tube. They must have the pics all screwed up.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

those are chevy 3 tube headers. If you think only a pontiac has 3 tube headers your sadly mistaken, ever look at a small block chevy and notice the 2 center exhaust ports next to each other /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I know that in Pontiac applications 3 tube headers suck, can make plenty more torque and power with 4 tubes and personally I wouldn't touch them, but I wouldn't touch tri Ys either and some people swear by them.

7. dyeager535

Thats the first Chev motor I've ever seen with offset end bolts on 1,2,7 and 8 cylinders, but not the center ones.

BTW, on motors like the Olds (some, not all) the two center exhaust ports are joined BEFORE they reach the manifold. No point in running 4 tube headers there for HP, you'd be ramming the exhaust into that center port. Probably a trade off between high RPM and low RPM, but it's just a crappy design from the factory.

As to the Tri-Y's, it seems the article that showed the tri-y's not making as much torque as long tubes has been shoved under the rug.

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

they look cool, but they won't help. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it seems the article that showed the tri-y's not making as much torque as long tubes has been shoved under the rug

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious, what article is this? I seem to recall reading many articles showing (with dyno results) that the Tri-Y does, in fact, produce more TQ than plain long-tube headers...

10. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

Is DIS what ya talkin about JARHEAD..... The Artical

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've just read at laest one or two articles where they built a motor and decided to slap a set of tri Ys on to discover a loss in bottom end torque , slight mid range increase, and an overall loss of performance(1/4 mile time). And I see what you mean the picture is for another motor but 3 tubes are produced for chevy motors as well. I know pontiacs don't have the center ports joined and thats my area of interest with these headers and I wouldn't run them.

12. bigburban383

I broke out my high performance engines notes, heres what it says about tri-y's:

Typically improves low end + mid range torque whereas the 4 into 1 designs tend to improve mid range and high RPM torque.

Theres alot of cool stuff like inertial supercharging, formulas for header lengths, pipe diameter, collector size, collector balance pipes(torque booster like an H pipe but you joion the collectors instead). If you want to know what size headers or something just PM me, give me your CID, RPM you want max torque and ill hook it up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. dyeager535

The fact remains (at least for this test) [ QUOTE ]
    Note that the average torque gain throughout the entire curve is only a scant 2.6 lb-ft. This is because at the lower engine speeds like 3,000 rpm, the Tri-Ys lost 32 lb-ft compared to the four-into-one header.

[/ QUOTE ]

14. bigburban383

Facts dont lie /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

that sounds like what I read