Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats wrong with this picture.....? (EDIT!!!)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kia, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

and...

[​IMG]

I think I have figured out why I have a NOISE in my rear diff....

all because of this fella!!!!...

[​IMG]

more pix here.... (Click here)

I hope to try and find a replacement for this soon, and it wasn't as difficult as it looks... I searched this site for 'how to do this' and it came up trumps again... thanks CK5 and the peeps who use it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Kia.

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Re: Whats wrong with this picture.....?

What axle is the carrier out of?

3. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

I'm a novice but I'm guessing your asking what truck it's of.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

it's an '89 K1500 Blazer from a 10 bolt diff

I hope tht answers the question /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Good god Kia! lol. Thats the first time I've evr seen a carrier with the bearing surface busted off. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Depending on what ya know or who ya know, It might be cheaper and easier for ya to just swap another 10 bolt in there. If you can find one with the right ratio. Good luck though....THats some quality breakage! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I have read that those 30 spline carriers are weak in that area, but that is the first time I have seen one break there.

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Now is a good time to consider upgrading that axle...
    If that's not for you, at least consider upgrading to a locker or limited slip that include a complete carrier replacement.

7. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

this is a little movie of the inside of the diff with the driveshafts still attached... look at the movement,

(Click here...)

On thursday I hope to go to the 'truck graveyard and maybe search for a D60 or just for now a replacement of what I have now, then when I rais it I'll put the D60 on it.

Kia.

8. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Looks like your also missing some teeth on that ring gear. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks like your also missing some teeth on that ring gear. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep sure am /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

whats the matter? still drove didnt it? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Will a 1977 10bolt fit right into my '89 10 bolt?

I have found one here in the UK (not too may trucks around here lol) and it's a 10 bolt but couldn't get any other infor out of the guy coz he doesn't know the exact details appart from the fact it's a 10 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I hope to go tomorrow morning to pick it up and see what it is.

Kia. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

too bad your that far away. i have an extra carrier and 3.42 ring and pinion that came out of my 30 spline 10 bolt.

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Any GM 1/2 or 3/4 ton 4x4 axle will bolt right in to your truck. So yes, the '77 will work. Just be sure that the ratio in the '77 10 bolt matches the whats in your front axle, and you'll be good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

someone correct me if im wrong but in 77 they used 44's and 12 bolts, the ten bolt in trucks didnt come until 78........?

either way, if the axle is a d44, 12 bolt, 10 bolt, whatever, out of a 77 half ton itll fit.....

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you can't find anything on your side of the pond for a reasonable price, I have a factory Gov-Loc diff from an '89 Blazer that I'd sell for $30 US plus shipping. It would at least get you back on the trails for now. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

mine broke there tooo /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, except the bearing came with it, wow, what a small world, lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.
    and mine was a 30 spline carrier, govloc.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Thats the big problem with the 10 Bolt 30 Spline. They just machine the factory case and do not change bearing size. It weakens the bearing journal. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

18. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

I'm not getting anywhere with people here in the UK all of them seem to know nothing/very little about this stuff, so I think I'm gonna have to look into getting stuff direct from the US.

I have mailed <font color="orange">HarryH3</font> and <font color="orange"> 89BlazerK5 </font> to see how much it would cost for shipping so I hope you guys can help me out.

Saying that I have found one place here that has loads of D60s that he's selling cheap so when I get my truck back on the road I'm gonna look into getting 2 (if I can) and changing it for a 1 Ton /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. But till then <font color="red"> HELP!!! </font> /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks guys for helping this poor soul /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Kia.

19. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Saying that I have found one place here that has loads of D60s that he's selling cheap so when I get my truck back on the road I'm gonna look into getting 2 (if I can) and changing it for a 1 Ton /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. But till then <font color="red"> HELP!!! </font> /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Kia.

[/ QUOTE ]

DUDE RENT A TRUCK AND GO GET 2 OF THEM!!!!!!
    BORROW MOMS HONDA CIVIC IF NEED BE!!!! I WOULDNT BOTHER WITH THE 10 bolt at all!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Kia.

[/ QUOTE ]

DUDE RENT A TRUCK AND GO GET 2 OF THEM!!!!!!
    BORROW MOMS HONDA CIVIC IF NEED BE!!!! I WOULDNT BOTHER WITH THE 10 bolt at all!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem at the moment is that age old thing MONEY /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Till I get some more I have to get my truck up and running on the cheap first then I'm gonna get all the things needed to do the full mod on my truck (Raise it by 4" new wheels, disc brakes all round etc...) so I have everything I need before I actualy do it./

But again all about money and being able to do it all in one go.

Kia.