Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats wrong??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Nov 15, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ok well i was wheeling a few weeks ago and i had to yank my friend out pretty hard... a bunch of times... i almost new something was wrong.. but whatever. So I let it sit and "rest" for about a week without driving it. And then i drove it to school today... well i stop at the sop sign slowly then i apply the brake a lil more and my tires like lock up and my tires chirp... it does it again at the next stop sign... then no more... so i go to schooll thiking what the hell.. i park and go to school. Coming home i stop and my tires lock up and chirp once in the parking lot and didnt do that again? When i got close to my house i braked hard... didnt do it... i dunno what happened??Anyhelp is appreciated.. thanks.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next...highflow cat, single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a rearend problem

90K5

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Not the rear end. It is the brakes. Happend to a buddy of mine. I am trying to get a hold of him to see what he replaced. Basically the shoes are getting too much pressure all at once kind of thing. Actually it happened to a lady here at work a few months back too on her Ford.
    Worst case, you replace the rear brakes.

Ken H.

Your going to scare the hell out of the guy by saying its the rear end.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the obvious would tell me that somethings wrong with the braks, but i think its something bigger, i always suspected it to be the rear end... i just got my new gears and everything, its a long story, cuz it used to make this noise before on bumps and turns and stuff and i got my gears repalce and a shaft pin stud reaplced and no more noise.. i think that stuf got jacked again... or somehting, im getting it looked at over thanksgiving... plus... the guy said i have a real small pinhole in my brakeline... that may have something to do with it MAYBE. ok thanks guys.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next...highflow cat, single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A leaking oil seal or wheel cylinder will cause this. When drum brakes get "lubed" they grab hard...

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Sounds like some lube is leaking, as brakes do NOT like to get oiled up, as they grab and jerk. You might remove the wheels and use some of that brake cleaner in a can to thoroughly clean the brakes.

I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............

7. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

You have a hole in a brake line? Ummm, if your brake lines are developing holes, I think you've found your problem.

I would start with the brakes before the rear end ..... especially if you just had it rebuilt. Pull the drums and inspect the pads. Also, like stated above, make sure the wheel cylinders aren't leaking.

Are both tires locking up, or just one of them?

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Either oil or brake fluid on your brakes or something may be wrong in the proportioning valve.

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

9. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Well, first I would pull the drums off to see if there is any sand or dirt in there. You said you went wheeling so maybe it could be dirt or sand causing the brakes to lock up.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>