Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats wrong!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Aug 13, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

i set my timing and now its still slow as hell. All my wires are right, all plugs are ok. Can someone tell me all the possibilities? Someone said i might have a vacuum leak, well how do i fix that? How much will it cost. Where does my timing need to be? Right now i have turned all the way to the left, so its wayoff the timing mark. But it runs better than at the mark its supposed to be at.The carb also backfires and pops and different rpms on the highway or when i rev it. I HATE IT! The engine is rebuilt with 20,000 miles on it. Someone please help. I want to be able to stomp on it again and actully move!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You have the timing turned all the way to the left? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Are you using a timing light or a vaccuum gauge to time it? What is the timing set at? Are you diconnecting and plugging the vacuum advance before doing the timing? The timing sounds like it must be way off, it shouldn't be popping and backfiring if it's set correctly. </font color>

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Could be sticking mechanical advance weights.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

sounds like what my truck was acting like, Have you taken the distributor out? It could be a tooth off, and check those mechanical advance things under the rotor as well, they should be flat and level with eachother nothing overlapping