Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's your experience with painting/dying dash and interior?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, Jun 12, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if you guys have had luck with it sticking. If so, what's the best prep/method to use? Also any recommendations on brand/type of paint. Thanks guys!

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i just got done doing mine black with the rattlecan SEM.. looks great, sticks fine... i just scrub everything down well with denatured alcohol for prep.. you can also buy vinyl dye in qrts from PPG, etc....

3. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Thanks Ryoken. Did you use Sure-Coat?

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i used colorcoat... in semi black.... 2 or 3 coats and my tan is now black.. :D

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Don't skimp on the paint. The vinyl paint at Walmart will look tempting because its so cheap, but it isn't good for large areas.
    I used the VHT vinyl dye and it worked great. Definitely prep the surface really good. I scrubbed my parts with soap and water, then cleaned it up with some xlyene I had in the garage. Then gave each piece 3 light coats.

6. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Whiteburb, how long have you had the dye on?

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Painting I had good luck on all pieces except my door panels and armrests. Probably because they are high use areas, but the paint has cracked some. Will probably redo, or replace them in a yr or two when they crack up alot. Its not the plastic cracking, but the paint.

8. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Its been over a year. But I didn't bother with the door panels, I'm just going to replace those. I didn't think the paint would like such high use areas.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

There some fairly new stuff out there, not sure the brand but it's called Infusion. Maybe Krylon. Heard good things about it. Gona give it a try. I still think the high use areas such as top of the door panel and arm rest I'll upholster for longevity. Top of the door panel I think I'll talk the wife into making me a pad to velcro on. Sort of an upper arm rest.

10. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

when i changed my awesome Burgandy interior (i never understood blue or red interiors) to black, i didnt have a problem with anything except the door panels. everything else took color great except for them.

i tried SEM, VHT, Duplicolor, all the various sticking compounds, hell i even washed the panels down with soap and water, denatured alky, and laquer thinner. the only thing that stuck was the Krylon Infusion. now my sons S10 door panels, the Duplicolor worked great.

11. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info guys. I agree, the door panels are going to be the tough part. I'd almost just get new ones if I could. My interior is burgundy as well and it's going black.

What about the paded panels on the sides in the rear/bed? Do you do those the same as what's up front?

12. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

my k5 didnt come with rear panels. i scrounged one from a junkyard, and used it as a template for some 1/4" plywood.
    i then covered it in "Pleather" and made a particle board raised panel with a hole for a 6x9 where your knee would be and a groove for a piece of aluminum trim, then covered it with Zebra Velvet. :D

13. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Very nice. I'm thinking of changing the color of the Jimmy, but it's burgundy and the interior matches. So...

I don't mind the original color much, but whoever repainted it did a crap job and it's more brown than burgundy on the exterior.

14. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

For the walls in the back, I got some of that thin particle board stuff. I can't remember what its called(I want to say masonite), but its dark brown and only about 1/8" thick. Got it at Lowes. I cut the pieces to fit and carpeted them.
    I pulled the lower door panels all the way out and bedlined that portion of the door.

15. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

As far as my dash goes, it was very cracked and faded. I took it with the door panels to a local upholstery shop and had the dash covered in marine grade vinyl. Same material as the seats and the door panels. I could send pics if anyone would like to see. looks good but it has a seam on the gauge "hump". Doesn't take away from the look of the dash either.

16. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I bought a new dash but I spray coated the door panels with duplicolor and I was very careful to clean them well with alcohol first and three light coats of color.They looked like new at first but after about 2 months of heavy wheelin' and pressure washing they look like dog doo!I am thinking about having them Line-x'ed(the rest of my truck already is).