Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's your idea's ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Z3PR, May 10, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What\'s your idea\'s ????

Look at my webshots (pic's of my 76 Blazer) and help me come up with idea's. I'm currently planning on a 1" body lift, 6" suspension lift with shackel flip, a 14 bolt FF in the rear, and a Dana 44 up front ( I would prefer a Dana 60, but can't aford it at this time) For gears I really want 4:88, but will settle for 4:56. I'm going to go with 35" tires (Ground Hawg's) as soon as I can aford them. It's got the original 400 small block ( all factory stock ) and original TH350 and T-case. Okay, how about some idea's ???? What's your thoughts ???? I'm still in the planning stage, but will be ordering parts soon. Thanks, Paul Rees.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s your idea\'s ????

It sounds like you have it pretty well planned out. Do it right the first time and skip the inbetween stages. When you install your body lift, also uses new poly bushings. If you use lift springs along with the shackle flip for lift, take out the degree shims. If you use blocks, use nontapered blocks. The shackle flip will give you all the pinion angle you need. I would not buy ground hawg tires. I would suggest a swamper.....radial if you are looking for treadlife and ride quality. Buy offset 15" wheels. With 3" or less of backspacing, they will fit a D60 front whenever you upgrade to one.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I never have cared for blocks !!!!! I much reather use springs. I've been trying to plan this out so I don't have too keep taking it apart over and over. I really want to build it so it can take more abuce then I'll put it through. I will use the Blazer mostly for trails. I'm not into rock crawling. I'm more into exploring the Black Hill's for old ghost towns.

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

IMO I would suggest getting 36's or 37's. With 7" of lift it would look better than 35's. Plus, if you go to 37's maybe you can run your 4.88's./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

My opiniions... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Why Ground Hawgs... very hard rubber. Last long, but are not all that good off road when compared to Swampers, and about the same price.

Motor, trans and t-case should be good.

I would go 4.56s since it sounds like you are going to stick with 35s with the 44 front. 4.88s might be a little too high. But, I guess it depends on what you are going to do with the truck. Thats of crawly, then do 4.88s.

If you are doing gears, do AT LEAST a locker in the rear. Myself, I would do a Detroit in the rear, with the 14 bolt price isnt too bad. And with the 44 front, I would just leave it open to save on breakage.

Now, why a Dana 44 front? Same as your 10 bolt. The only reason I can see is to get a matching set for the 8 lugs. But, you can just convert over the 10 bolt. I would do whatever you find to be cheapest.

Ken H.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yes, a Detroit locker will be going in the rear end. I'm going with a total of 7" lift with 35" tires so I wont have to do any finder trimming. So ya'all think 4:56 gears would be good for trails ???? Like I said befor, I'm not really into the rock crawling. I'm more intrested in exploring old bareley noticable trails out in the Black Hills Nation Forest. Old minning roads and logging roads. It's been alot of fun finding old ghost towns. I've found some old buildings way out in the middle of nowhere, I really enjoyed checking them out.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So Super-Swampers would be better ???? I do alot or on street driving with this truck, besides being a trail rig, it's also my daily driver.

8. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

If you are concerned about road manners and tread life. I would suggest BFG mud terrains. They are not as agressive or "cool" looking, but from what I hear will last 2 to maybe 3 times longer than swampers. I had a set of 33" bfg's on my F-150 and replaced them at 50k, yes they were worn out for off road use, but were fine for street driving. I think the type of swamper you buy makes a difference also. I've heard the standard TSL wears out REALl quick, I'd immagine the radials wear a little longer, and I think the truxus swampers are supposed to last pretty long. I really like my mud terrains, however all I have to compare them to is various all terrain tires I have used. Anyhow, what ever you choose I imaggine it will look sweet.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Road drivabiality is a concern, this is my daily driver. But when I do go off road, I get way off road. I get pretty deep in the forest, so I need a tire that is pretty agressive. If I can get the truck to fit, belive it'll go there !!!! So what if I knock over a few small tree's along the way. So what tire do you think would best fit my needs ????

10. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

you shouldn't knocking over trees you jerk....just kiddng, i say get the new truxxs i've hears that they ar almost as good as SSr's but last way longer