Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's your monthly grocery bill?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Aug 10, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

For me, wife and 15yr old son I usually hit the grocery store every 2 weeks or so and spend $200-250 each time ($400-500 a month). It wasn't this bad 6 months ago when I could shop at the commissary on base but living nowhere close to a base now does have it's disadvantages. My bill WAS $50-100 cheaper then.

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

It varies some from week to week, but I would say the average is 175 bucks per week. I've been thinking about getting a chest freezer and buying sides of beef and pork . The initial cost would hurt, but it would sure put a dent in the weekly grocery bill. Where I live now, I pay for per item than anywhere I have lived in the past. Only 2 grocery stores in town, no Super Center, so not much choice.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

At LEAST $600 per month. 2 adults and two girls under 10 years old.......:mad:

4. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

my parents typically do not like to buy alot of groceries, so about 160 bucks a month..... yea we definatly dont have much food at our house. so we mostly go out to eat.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Gotta be $600/month. Two adults, 3 kids (two in diapers - one on baby food/formula) and two labradors. I miss the single days as far as shopping is concerned- ramen noodle, ham sandwiches and pizza.

6. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

$500 or so a month here too for me, wife, and 2 kids. Winco opened up here a year or two ago and saved me about $100 a month... Man, they are way cheaper than anyone else, but their produce sux!!!!!

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

We budget $100/wk for my wife & I, 1 dog and 2 cats, and we stay within that for the most part. Some weeks it's only $45, other weeks it's $150+. It averages out.

8. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Approx 200-250 every two weeks. depending on what store we go too. There is Myself, wife, and two kids.

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i dont spend a penny on groceries, as that is one of my womans contributions to the house. i do know she spends a hell of alot though.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mother knows best...

Since I still live at home with my elderly mother,I don't have to buy much food--I usually eat out a lot,or what she cooks..since its just her and myself,I assume the groceries dont come to THAT much money,but I dont get to see the total bill at the cash register,because she's such a PITA to the store clerks I'm embarresed to go into the store with her!.--always certain she got overcharged for something,or was charged tax on a non taxable item,etc...makes a big scene in front of everyone over a friggin quarter! :surepal: --a few stores have said if she does not like their policy, to not bother coming back! :tongue1: --its very embarassing to have to stand there and put up with her senility--so I usually stay in the car!.. :whistle:--my sympathy to all of those who have to put up with someone with althimers or senile dementia...been there! :doah: :mad:

I'd bet she drops over 100 bucks easy every 2 weeks...we have a "Super Wal Mart" a half mile away,a Super Stop and Shop store 2 miles away,plus Shaws,and Market basket...so availability is no problem,but it sure sucks hauling her to all 4 places to save a nickel on a loaf of bread,etc...she never thinks about the gas we burn at 2.50 a gallon joyriding 15 miles to all 4 stores!..plus she always buys way too much food,and tries to freeze it--we end up tossing out more than we eat sometimes..just threw out a whole box of english muffins that were all moldy to the blue jays outside..thats only a small example--.
    I've found meat in the freezer dating back to 2000!!--and I"VE BEEN EATING IT!! :doah: :yikes: :yikes: ...so I try to get my OWN food lately!--just got a small fridge for my shop--so its beer and pizza for me lately,or whatever I cook on the camping stove...seems old people never throw ANYTHING away,including food thats inedible!--I tossed out 4 boxes of crackers and "cheese its" yesterday that were over a year old!.. :eek1: :angry1:

I guess I'm in for a big shock when its MY turn to pay all the bills here,food,taxes,and whatnot..I think I'll be eating lots of Ramen Noodles,soups,peanut butter and jelly sandwiches,and probably be living a skid row existance!..I can barely keep my fleet on the road and isured,never
    mind feed myself..house taxes alone are nearly 4 grand a year,and rising.. :doah: :mad:

11. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

$200.00 - $250.00 every 2 weeks for 3 of us plus 2 dogs and a bird

12. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

300-350 every 2 weeks depending on the animal food. But since the wife been gone for the last 4 weeks Ive spent $ 75.00 twice and still have plenty of leftovers, its amazing what happens when you live off whatever is on sale, almost everything Ive bought except Milk has been on sale usualy 2 for 1 and Im even buying healthy snacks for work so my eating lunck out has actually gotten cheaper since im getting less but lunch is usualy $ 50 a week. I'm still cheaper to feed than my suburban each week

13. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have no clue, the wife takes care of that and as long as I get to eat and the bills are paid I don't ask :haha:

14. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

$600 a month. 2 adults, 2 kids under 5, 1 dog, 1 18lb cat, and she cooks a large meal every night mon-thurs for all, plus a friend from work. We usually grill on weekends or eat out.

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Well, I've end up eating out alot lately which needs to stop. When I was buying fresh meat and veggies, lots of eggs and milk, cottage cheese and $4 a loaf wheat bread I averaged about $60-100 every week-and-a-half to two weeks. Another $30-40 a month for suppliment shakes and vitamins.
    I need to get back in my old routens of eating and taking good foods to work (instead of running out for a burger and fries). But its hard to budget that money in.

This is my first post as a member again! :wink1:

16. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

At least $700.00 + a month. In a 4 years I will have 3 teenage sons raiding the fridge...I see it going to 1000.00 a month +++ . :yikes:

17. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

feeding six + assorted family in laws once or twice a week, about 600 a month :D

18. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well, zero right now since i live with mommy and daddy again. :p: But when I was living in my apartment at school it was, well, damn near zero too because I worked at the cafeteria and got one free meal per every 4 hours worked.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Go to "Safeway" once a week. Usely spend $150.00 each time we're there. Myself, my mother, and 3 cats.

20. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

$700+ month. Me, the wife, 1 teenager, 1 preschooler, 2 cats (23lbs,25lbs). Lotsa steak.