Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's your most bizarre incident?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Dec 29, 2004.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I was driving down the highway on christmas day ,ran over a plastic grocery bag that was rolling in the wind ....
    The bloody thing got caught under the Jimmy and flapped for awhile then stopped:dunno:
    The next day I walked over to the truck and saw a lot of oil on and around the rear diff.:confused:

It turns out that the plastic bag got tangled up with the rear diff. , went in between the dust shield and housing , totally destroying the pinoin seal:yikes:

How's that for stupid luck:screwy:

What has happened to you?:grin:

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I tapped a dirt berm with my front passenger tire once and my transfer case crossmember sheared loose a piece of the frame and the tranny and tcase crossmember was hanging half way down to the ground. I only tapped the berm doing maybe 2mph.

Turns out the years of offroading, fireroading, and several accident the truck had been in had cracked the frame little by little around the holes for the crossmember and it snapped when I tapped the berm.

Worst part was I was 50 miles from anywhere resembleing a town on a dirt road that doesn't get alot of traffic. :frown1:

I used the factory tire jack to get the tcase crossmember jacked back into place and then I used my 25ft tow chain to chain it back in place around the frame and wrapped the rest of the 23ft around my running board support I had at the time. I got home just fine. :grin:

Harley

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I had just lifted my picked truck and decided to go off-roading. I saw a grassy area and pulled off the road going about 10 mph. The truck came to a dead stop. I looked underneath and it turned out I got high centered on a tree stump. I took me and my buddy 2 hrs. to get me off of it! nothing broke though. Thing is I've been wheelin there before when the grass was cut and I never noticed the stump!?

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

steering not returning correctly

just installed new ubolts and 2 weeks later loosend up to insall axle wedges . looked like new so i re tightened them and 2 days later poker run time . 3/4 threw run steering wasnt returning to the same spot every time so i get out and the u bolts are ready to fall off , and the center pin hole on ds was oblonged . luckly friend had a big breaker bar and socket got them tight and finished run o.k. . next day went and got brand new u bolts . learned importent lesson-DONT REUSE UBOLTS after thay are tourqed !!!!!

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well this does not have to do with a 4x4 as much as a 4 wheel attempt. Many moons ago when I was 16 I had an old beat up 71 cuda. I tried to drive it over a 30 foot dirthill in the middle of the night and high centered at the very top. So while it was hung up there at the tip high centered with front and rear in the air the police came cruising by. I don't know why exactly but they did not spot us. I had figured we were toast. I guess that Cuda looked like such a POS that it blended in with the dirt. After the coast was clear we left the car and started walking home. Funny thing is two old ladies came by and saw us walking. They felt sorry for us poor kids & gave us a ride to a friends house where we got help and retrieved the car. That car sat up there for about 45 minutes by itself with no one calling it in.

Moral of story: If your a dumbass kid it helps to have respect for your elders because you never know when you are going to need help.

ps: driveshaft fell out in the driveway the next morning.

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Bizarre Incident

Was coming home on leave back in 78, driving east out of 29 Palms. It was about 11:30 at night. My brother saw something along side of road, so I turn around and come back. It was a fellow Marine who apparently had fallen out of his truck while driving down the highway. We put him in the back of my pickup and hauled azz to the nearest town (Amboy), found a phone and called the CHP. 40 Minutes later they show up w/ambulance, pronounce the guy DOA and take our statements. When I got to my folks in Kansas City, My brother and I told them what happened. A couple of days later, my dad was reading the sunday paper and there was an article about a local Marine found dead in the California desert!!! Dad made me call the parents and tell them what happened, that was the hardest phonecall I have ever made.

7. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

i was headed to my mother in-laws house with a chain saw and a gas can on the back seat floor board i hit a railroad crossing @about 20 knocked the gas can over so i pulled off the side of the road to pick it up when i went to pull off i realized i was in some very deep mud when i got out to lock in it was alot deeper than expected i had to dig to get to the hubs well since it was so deep i could get back on the road it was about a 1.5 foot wall to get back up there so after about 10-15 mins of rocking and pushing forward to find harder dirt i got out of my truck wich i couldnt see out of i had about 5 or 6 cars pull off th road to watch the show and they were all clapping and cheering. but go figure on the side on a normal tared public road i could find such a whole thats my luck... i wont even get started on my telephone pole incident

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I thought I was the only one who had that kind of luck. The exact same thing happened to me in my 90 Jimmy a few years back. I avoid grocery bags at all costs now!

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

when i first got my truck, i had to go pick my little sister up from school. i was mad at her for some reason, I forget what, and was driving down this back road about 45 mph and not paying too much attention (yelling at her) when I hit these double railroad tracks. they sit about 3 ft off of the road bed, and had a very short ramp to them, so I got my truck about 3-4 ft in the air. then i hit the second set perfectly and jumped the exact same way. when I landed, i got out to see if anything was broke but nothing was. I had to go home and change my underpants, and from then on my sister actually liked riding in my truck.

another time, I was following my dad home from the BMV. he was driving his '96 F150 4x4, and I was driving my truck. He hit this huge pothole on I76, and I had to hit it too (or would have hit the car passing me). I felt the truck fall in and then it bounced back up, and I hit my head on the metal ceiling of my truck. Ow! when we got home, it turns out that it broke some of the leaves on both sides in the rear of his truck. all i had was a dented ceiling :D

10. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

my most "bazare

Its only realy bizzare because of the timing of it but, I had just finished putting the winch on my pickup the day before so i wanted to go wheeling and mabey test it out. So i head up to browns camp with my cousin for a day of weeling and had trouble on the veary first obstical. It was just kindof a little up hill dirt trail but it had a big root in the middle of it that made for about a foot tall lecge to clime. Well it wouldent make it up going easy at it so i decided to "bump" it up the root. So i gave it some gas and the front tires hit the root and bounced off and came down while still on the gas. Aperently 10 bolt stub shafts dont care much for that. It would have been easy enough just to back down but their was a big stump directly behind the rear diff. and in 2wd i couldnt move forward up the hill.fortunatly just the day before i had hooked up the winch and finally got it working. So i winched myself up the hill and back down to re position the rear axel so i could get by the stump. There was no way i w2as going to be able to winch up the root in 2wd iether. so long story but it was the luck of timing that was with me on that one. If i wouldent have had a winch i would have had to wait and hope someone would come up the trail that could help me out.:crazy:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Too many to list!!

I've had plastic bags blow under my el-camino I had,and remove all the fan belts,then stick to the y-pipe and stink for a month!:mad: --I was riding in my friends fathers Saab one day,when a tire and rim passed us on the highway!--his dad said"huh,some fool lost a wheel!"--about 2 seconds later,the left rear side of the Saab came crashing down to the pavement!--HE was the fool who lost his wheel!-
    -We rolled and dragged it over to the side of the road,on the brake drum and rear quuarter,and after we stopped,we watched the tire and rim,still rolling along a 50mph,go about a 1/4 mile and hit the gaurdrail,bounced 20ft into the air,and dissapear into a cranberry bog on the side of the road...we waded around in the swamp for a half hour before giving up the search--we never found the tire--and the spare was nearly flat when we went back to the car,soaked to the bone--we were lucky to get to a gas station that was closed,but had an air hose that actually worked..

I was riding on I-495 in central MA one day,a nice summer warm day,when a thunderstorm came up suddenly,the sky got very dark,and lightning was flashing,and without warning the clouds burst,blinding everone going the usual 85 mph--two cars in front of me collided,and went over the gaurd rail,I missed them by inches---I didnt dare stop,fearing I'd cause a chain reaction collision--(we were lucky we didnt get killed ourselves!)-the two cars had rolled end over end,but I later heard no one was seriously hurt--but the best was yet to come--a ford 4x4,all lifted and big Dick Cepeck tires,with a huge slide in camper passed me going about 90mph,I assume the driver was angry about being delayed by the previous accident,and was trying to make up lost time--as he passed me,I noticed the front of the camper was lifting off the truck bed by 6-12 inches!!:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: --he got about 1/8 of a mile away from me,and a good gust of wind from the thunderstorm came along,and I saw the truck swerve back and forth,next thing I know the entire camper lifted right out of the truck bed and disintegrated all over the 3 lanes of the highway!!--the guy nearly rolled his truck,but was able to keep it on all fours,and pulled off into the median strip,his front wheels went into a deep ditch,and he had to be winched out--the road was closed for another hour while a bucket loader and a highway crew removed the peices of slide in camper--took me 4 hours to do a 90 minite ride that day....

I also witnessed a hit and run,death resulting,when a guy stopped on Rt 24 near me,to chase a mother duck and her ducklings off the road--I saw the guy get hit when I was about a 1/4 mile away--he flew about 20 ft and hit a bridge abutment,the other car sped off,but I was able to describe it to the police,and got the first 3 plate numbers--I tried to chase the car,but my K5 was no match for a mustang GT--I wanted to stop and help th guy,but I knew he was beyond help when I stopped--I saw his head was caved in,and he had no face--so I sped off in hopes of getting the plate number off the car that hit him--the cops chewed me out for leaving the scene of an accident,even though I was not involved--but the cop apologized after he heard on the scanner they caught the kids that killed him,down the road 10 miles away--of course they were drunk and stoned,thats why they sped off...:mad:

Another time I saw a tractor trailer sidswipe a bridge on the highway,ripping the whole side off the trailer--and an entire load of Ocean Spray Cranberry products flew all other both sides of the road--several cars spun out and crashed from skidding on the cranberry sauce,some had broken windsheilds from the 1 gallon jugs of cranberry juice flying into cars in the opposite lane,and it seemed like everyone in town just stopped in the middle of the road and filled their trunks with the unbroken cans and bottles---seems the driver had suffered a heart attack,but the EMT's were able to keep him alive,and he recovered..I was real late for work that day too>--:blush:

Theese are a few of the bizzare things I've witnessed--I have a lot more tales to tell,but I dont want to bore you guys to death!!!..:crazy: